1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most common effect used in church setting

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gladowsky, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    The only effect I currently have is a Boss chorus and haven't used it in church but am considering it or some other effect. Without considering compression (this is in my rig) I was wondering what the most common or useful effect would be in a church worship setting? This can be for either prayerful, quite times or full-out gospel jamming. I recently received an EBS octaver but returned it as I see very little use for $180 of pedal.

Thanks in advance.

2. ChristoMephisto

ChristoMephisto

Sep 4, 2011
    If you're plying in a church, you can take advantage of the natural delay.
    Is it the CE-2B, use the effect level control if it's too much
    Recommend a Limiter instead of a compressor since it doesn't mess with you low end

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    We should start focusing less on what is acceptable in present day churches....and instead reform the churches. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

Haha...that being said, I'd say some delay...maybe a filter if it's like some funky soul gospel...but most likely some delay to go with your chorus.

4. I use all kinds of stuff in church. It really does blow people away when I have the oxide and xerograph deluxe going at the same time. I've actually had old people plug their ears and shake their head at me all dissapproving like. It was awesome. Hey, Jesus was pretty much a rock star right!?

5. How about an Akai Deep Impact

6. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    I'm sorry you get a kick out of offending old people. You will be old too someday. I hate to see the disrespect to those who have experience so much more of life than I or you have (I'm approaching 50 so maybe I'm old too in your eyes). I do not like stupid-loud music either - emphasis on stupid. But I never did when I was younger either. What's the point, other than making noise. Of course, a 4-year old can do that.

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Aaaaaaand we're off!

8. Bladow Gladowsky...you're no fun. Get a fuzz pedal and cut loose.

9. I think you could use anything that compliments the song. That being said, I don't use any effects right now but would consider a fuzz or delay, maybe a filter. I don't mind pushing the envelope a little in church, but we are also called to be peacemakers and being downright obnoxious for no other reason than to upset people is over the line. The point of leading worship is to lead others into a place where they can worship, and being distracting with too many effects can detract from that. If it fits the song, and isn't a distraction, go for it.

10. I had to remember which forum I was on...I edited myself nicely I do think. Maybe you should ask the praise and worship bassist club this question because alot of us here LOVE TO MAKE NOISE!!!!!!MOAR NOOOOOOOOOIIIZZZEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!MOARR FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!

11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Compression.

12. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    If the focus is on you and whatever crazy thing you're doing it ceases to be worship. The aim in worship is to be as transparent as possible so that worshippers can set all of that aside and encounter God in the music, words and sacraments.

That said, a nice versatile delay can be an invaluable resource in a worship setting. I play guitar in worship, and rarely bass, but I always have a delay pedal.

Heck, half of the modern worship music from the mid 90's until now carries that U2 vibe and that's all about delay.

13. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    tee-hee.

14. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    I hear you, meaning I agree completely. This is one reason I returned the EBS octaver. It did not fit the setting as I thought it might.

My playing style is to encourage others in worship by supporting the harmony and melody as well as worshiping as I play (not that God would be that pleased with my choice of notes).

Thanks for your reply.

15. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    As it says in the good book: let he has the capability of melting faces with MASSIVE FUZZ melt those faces an it will be good...

16. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Is that a quote from the book of Germaniums or 2 Siliconians?

17. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
  18. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    Good post. Thanks. I tend to agree.

Must be why I have yet to dawn an effect anywhere I play.

19. I'd go for a chorus pedal. Great for gospel type mixes where you're not going to be fighting with crashing drums and wailing guitars; a nice touch of a chorus is the perfect thing for brightening up your sound and adding a little colour to the mix.

20. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    :rollno:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.