Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most common soapbar configuration.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jan 17, 2002.

1. What is the most common soapbar configuration? I understand soapbars are just a cover for a variety of traditional pickup layouts like P, J, MM, etc.

Whats the most common?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Uh...I haven't seen any studies. My guess is that soapbars are most often humbuckers...dual coil pickups, that is.

Some people consider "soapbars" to be a modern look. EMG has a line of pickups, for example, that are soapbars, but actually house P or J pickups under the covers. The line I heard from an old EMG rep was that EMG developed them to be "vintage sounding" but "modern looking".

Because soapbars have been around for longer than these particular pickups by EMG, I'd have to believe there are more dual (or triple) coils under the soapbar covers than P's or J's...

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Actually I think a lot of basses with EMG soapbars have PJ configurations. Those were the only configs for a number of years until the DCs came out and later the CS I believe.

Bartolini makes a wide variety, and I don't know which configs are most common, but a number of them are switchable - you can split the dual-coils, and they make a quad which can be split to P or reverse-P. They also make humbucking "J" configs like EMG.

Bottom line though, who cares? :) figure out what you want and you can probably get a soapbar config for it. (Except for MM really, you need the spacing between the coils to get that sound).