Most covered song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Jun 25, 2002.

1. What do you think the most covered song ever is? I know a bunch of bands have covered Kick Out the Jams and Come Together.
  2. "Happy Birthday" being the most popular song ever written, I would guess that it might also be the most covered song...

- Wil
  3. Either that or Christmas songs, but happy birthday would probably be it though.
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    christmas songs,any beatles songs,led zeppelin,oh..alot of biker bands cover black sabbath way too much.
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    To the best of my knowledge, the most recorded song is 'Yesterday' by The Beatles.
  6. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I know lots of people who do Moondance.
  7. Freebird, the most requested cover by drunks.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  9. "Stairway to Freebird" - Lynyrd Zeppelin
  10. "Free Bird to Heaven"- Led Skynrd???:p
  11. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    ..and you are in fact correct sir! Yes!

Over 1000 people have recorded the McCartney tune "Yesterday".
  12. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Proud Mary should be up there with Free Bird and Stairway on songs most requested by drunks.
  13. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Any lynard skynard song is covered way too much...Every bar gig I have played at has been over taken by rednecks asking for "some' skynard".
    Then when we don't play it they start to whine and b*tch.
  14. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    "Brown Eyed Girl" has to be up there.
  15. Don't forget "Smells like teen spirit"...
  16. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    You know what the ironic thing is though? Happy Birthday ISN'T public domain. Someone actually owns the rights to the song.
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know that scenario oh to well. :(

Actually where I play, Southern Rock in general is always request. About every gig we get a Skynrd request, every other gig it's Marshal Tucker, then about every 3, it's Outlaws.

If I have to play Freebird or Gimme Three Steps one more time, someone is seriously getting hurt. :mad:
  18. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My vote goes to either "Brown-Eyed Girl" or "Blister in the Sun." Around here, every popular cover band plays those two. Sheesh.
  19. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Takin Care of business by BTO is pretty overplayed by bands.
  20. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Dammit- Blink 182

I have never been to a local band's show where I didn't hear this damn song. I like Blink182, but this song is so overplayed, I want to shoot the band playing it whenever I hear it.