1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most dangerous gigs in the world!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by joninjapan, Sep 7, 2017.

1. joninjapan

joninjapan

Aug 13, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    Since this site has so many countries represented I was just curious what are your hazards when playing live?

I am in Japan. While it is well known that violent crime as a whole is very low here and the chance of a gun being pulled in a club or bar is almost unheard of... we have other dangers that are ever present.
    The most common is earthquakes:(... this time of year we also have typhoons:eek:, these can mostly can be avoided.
    And now we have a guy just across the water wanting to lob nuclear bombs at us...:rollno:

so how is your location?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    McG likes this.
  2. The west coast of the US is always good for something.
    Earthquakes, mudslides, got a major wildfire in Oregon right now.
    We just had "Typhoon" Harvey in Texas and "Typhoon" Irma is headed for Florida.
    Locally, (Nebraska) our biggies are Tornados in the Summer and Blizzards in the winter.
    We've always got nut bags running around with guns shooting people somewhere.

Today it's 75 deg f. The sun shines. I'm home from work, the beer is cold and nobody shot at me.
    So that's as good as it gets. :p

Oddly, S-Bigbottom, McG and 4 others like this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    yes, I would say that's a pretty decent day

Old Garage-Bander and McG like this.
  4. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Akk cent chew ate The Positive Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    We live in a medium-sized town in North Georgia, USA.
    I haven't giged in 6 or 7 years...not like a pub or a concert hall or anything.
    Mostly I play out around camp fires...pretty low pressure gigs!
    :roflmao:
    Currently, my biggest concern is swapping out the door knob to my basement door so I can feel comfortable and confident about leaving some new recording equipment I've purchased down there.
    Some damned fool recently stole the battery from our boat when it was parked out near the lake overnight! :poop:
    I was broken-hearted!
    I might be the least cynical/ suspicious person you'll ever meet...just an Old Hippie... :thumbsup:
    I always expect the best of folks, and I usually receive it.
    Not that time, though...so it's on my mind as I put together the space downstairs... ;)

McG and joninjapan like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Here in So Cal earthquakes are the big concern. At one of our regular places I play right in front of a two story tall brick wall. A good sharp jolt and I would have more than music on my mind :woot:

joninjapan and 47th Street like this.
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy Supporting Member

We have earthquakes here. So, if you are in an old, brick bar when a big one hits, it could be a problem. Wildfires are making everything so smoky that I'm considering tobacco as an air filter for health reasons. Other than that, the chances of getting zapped by an improperly grounded mic are pretty good. The drummer got stung by a few hornets during one gig. She kept right on playing and nobody else knew about it until we were packing up. That's one tough drummer. But, no fire ants, no poison snakes, a few poison spiders but they aren't much of a problem. So, the hazards are fairly minimal around here. It could be far worse. Everything in Australia is trying to kill you.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I was in a country band and the wife of one of our guitarists was always out churning up jobs for the band.

One day she came in and said she had us a great gig lined up at a watering hole a couple towns over. She said the owners were throwing a big all day (saturday) party with several bands, free food and nickle draft.

They were calling it "The Grand Reopening After The Shooting"

AGH, S-Bigbottom, joninjapan and 3 others like this.
  8. Fukui has Japans most concentrated amounts of nuclear power plants and North Koreans kidnapping people. Also Boredom. Inaka life.

joninjapan likes this.
  9. We have Yellowstone ready to blow, any day now.
    Pik-a-nik baskets all over the place.

Then there's those danged Coronal Mass Ejections.
    That's when someone shakes up my party beer before I open it.

joninjapan and McG like this.
  10. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Just look for the clubs out on the secondary roads, with the chicken wire in front of the stage.

AGH, joninjapan and 47th Street like this.
  11. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I've only played in Sacramento and Reno. All metal shows but no drama. One time in Sac a band had ditched their guitar player and took his share of their earnings so we got to hear him fighting on the phone because he had no gas or money.

joninjapan and 47th Street like this.
  12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I played in this place just 24 hours before this happened...

13. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung Akk cent chew ate The Positive Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    ...and I'm worried about locking the door...:rolleyes:

joninjapan likes this.
  14. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    NYC here and theft is the issue I hear about most. Transporation can be a pain. Some areas have flooding issues.