most dependable basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Recent problems with my Warwick again have lead me to realize that of all my basses, my Music Man Sterling has been the most dependable. I never had a single problem of any sort with it.

I want to know what others experience is if they own a few different basses. Which bass has given you the least amount of trouble? Which do you think is the most dependable?

Here's my complaints with various basses:

Warwick Corvette - volume pot went, straplock now slips.

Fender P Deluxe- tuning heads have play in them, lots of parts had to be glued and reglued to keep them in place, midcontrol has some sort of shielding problem that makes it noisy and crackly at times.

Dan Electros - weather really effects the set up. If it's hot out and a place is air conditioned I'm in a little trouble.

Alvarez Dana - had to replace pickups cuz they were too noisy - otherwise all was fine. Thin sounding bass though.

MM Sterling - no complaints.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    four Fenders, old and new- never had a single problem.

Tobiases- custom preamp broke after almost twenty years of use...can't complain there. Bart pre gave up after about 12 years of steady use... no compliaints there either:D

G&L- problem with 20 year old preamp. I'll live.

Among my keepers, they basically are extremely reliable. I could still play the three active basses I mentioned in passive mode. Everything else is just dandy.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    '96 MIA P-Bass - Never a problem. This is the bass that can hang on the wall for a month and be in tune when I pull it down.

'92 MIM J-Bass - The frets wore down pretty quickly, and the pups were, hmmm, cheesy? I re-fretted it and it plays like a dream. Undergoing significant mods right now, but none because of reliability.

Various Homemades - The first two are susceptible to weather changes. I'm getting ready to replace the finger board on the maple fretless, and I think I'll add graphite reinforcement rods. The second, I'll just deal with.

P.S. I've noticed the Danos seem to like it cooler also!
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    MIA fenders are like tanks. They virtually last forever, not to mention never go out of tune. Extremely reliable basses.
  5. chance6245

Sep 25, 2000
    People trash them sometime but I have never had a problem. I love the tone and the look.

6. does the fact that a bass stays in tune relate to the quality of the bass or the design? my jazz seems to stay in tune really well. but ive only had one, so help.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Fender Precision...nothing to go wrong with it, really.

What sort of parts had to be "glued and reglued" on your P? The parts on mine are all screwed on :)
  8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The ferrets in the back that the strings go through had to be glued in - and the strap pegs pulled right out of the wood. Even after the holes had been stuffed and glued. That's dissapointing on a 1000$ bass.
  9. Yeah, my string through things fall out too, but they are only a problem when restringing. Other then that, the MIA P is great. My jazz has never had any problem, perfect in everyway, and I dont treat it well either. THe dano is always broken, and is probably permanately ruined because of my inate defreting ability. The musicmaster is doin fine, I never play it, but I still think it works :)