1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most difficult decision...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Techmonkey, May 7, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Making my rounds of the guitar shops today, I stopped dead in my tracks at one particular shop... The owner is known to do some amazing bargains (he usually buys used from America, which saves hundreds of pounds compared to the other shops) and that means he can cut a chunk off the price. But today, I saw the most beautiful bass I've ever seen....

It was a Fender jazz, with a black body, and the bridge and pickup covers and everything, and the thumbrest by the G string... It looked to be in mint condition. I'm not positive on what model - It either had a red tort pickguard or a mint green pickguard. We were in a hurry so I didn't stop to check it out more and thought I'd take a better look at it when I got back. Serial number began with an "N" so it's definitely a USA... Sometime in the nineties I think.

My first thought upon reflection when I got back was "'62 Re-issue!" but I didn't notice whether it had the stacked knob arrangement or not... The pickup/bridge covers and thumbrest do really make me wonder though.

And of course, if it was a '62 reissue... The price on GAK is just under £1200, and Whizzy was selling it in mint condition for £600.

Sometime this week I'm gonna down, tell him I'm seriously thinking about it and try it out. I'll make a note of the full serial number, and write down all the details about it and look it up on the internet. If I like it, I'm so tempted to buy it.

Of course the only way I can afford to buy it is to trade one of my other basses. My first thought was a direct trade for my Warwick but I don't think I could let her go, even for a Fender jazz... And I'm too sentimentally attatched to my fretless, not that he'd want it anyway. Which just leaves my Traben. A good playing, decent sounding, stunning looking bass. It's tough... But worth it for a jazz bass. The Traben and hardcase alone wouldn't be enough though. I reckon that would probably account for half of it, but I'll still need another £300 or so.

I could probably trade my bass head to pay for the rest of it, and buy a power amp to replace it, but as a gigging musician I think it would probably be more benificial to my job to keep the head and find something else to trade...

Is it worth getting the bass at all?

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    I think you should try it out first :)

3. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Definitely try it out first.

I have had the experience before of seeing an absolute beauty of a bass and consider there and then trading in my current one/s only to be really dissapointed in he tone.

As the saying goes "try before you buy"

4. hey man what shop is this? i am moving to the uk this month and could use the name of a good music store. good luck with the tough decision