Most difficult primus song...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by funktastic, May 4, 2005.

1. funktastic

Mar 16, 2005
    forgive me if this has been posted already, and delete it if it needs to be, but since the tommy the cat thread i had been wondering what primus songs you all consider harder? For me, it is...

1. is it luck?
    2. hamburger train
    tommy the cat is somewhere in the mix of those two for me.
  2. HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, Tommy the Cat is one hard friggin' song. I made the mistake of choosing it at random for the first slapping song I learned. I new that Claypool was a prime slapper, unfortunately that was the song I just kinda picked out of a hat. I was so discouraged, I didn't slap for like a month.
  3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1 on Hamburger Train
  4. is it luck is deffintly one i have much trouble with, if you took out all the hammer-ons and pop-offs i could play it no problem, but o well, i never tryed to play hamburger train, i figured the whole thing sounded kind of improvisational and its long as hell. Tommy the cat becomes not so hard to play if you don't worry about playing it exactly correct, most people wont notice the differnce
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, I think you really need a tremolo to make Is It Luck sound like it does on the cd.

A few notes Les gives:

"I play it on the 4-string. I hold on to the whammy bar while I slap, which gives it a real weird sound. It's all on the D and G strings, and the second bar is the same as the first, but up a half-step."

Another note: Les uses standard tuning, but instead of standard strings on his 4-string, he uses two A's and two G's to help out with his chords.
  6. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    2 A's and 2 G's = easier bends, taps and slap
  7. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Talk about wierd tension and string to string balancing. I'd never do that on my bass, but I'm also not sponsered by any string manufacturers, so...

I don't really like the riff from Is It Luck?. Sounds like a really tiny exerpt from a Wooten solo or something.

P.S. - I love Wooten.
  8. Tommy the Cat in itself is not that bad once you have it down. If you can get someone to teach you the right way to do it (like my bass teacher did) you can practice at slow speeds until the act becomes automatic. The only parts that are weird are the octave up/down parts that I have to transpose on my 4 string, meaning playing high up, and the solo section that still eludes me completely.

Personally, I find the tapping stuff more difficult, but that's because I'm not a tremendous tapper. I can hobble my way through DMV but I miss most of the fills and it sounds a bit sloppy.

Hamburger Train is an impressive one that I don't see mentioned often.