most distasteful recording I've ever heard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bardolph, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I don't know if anybody knows anything about this, but I just came across a recording of Victor Wooten's "You Can't Hold No Groove" with drums added to it. It just made me so angry I felt the need to share it. I think the recording pretty much speaks for itself:

If that isn't the epitome of a drum wanker I don't know what is. What a way to ruin something awesome.
  2. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Just because a drummer can throw in really nice variation without going insane or losing the tempo, all while keeping the pocket perfectly, doesn't make him a wanker. :eyebrow:

Some people. :rollno:
  3. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm lovin' this. That drummer can groove.

4. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Nobody is bothered by the fact that this drumming is nothing but constant fills? You can hardly even hear Vic's technique, which is what makes the song good in the first place. I'm not arguing the drummer doesn't have some nice chops and good time. That's like drum solo type of stuff though, definitely not something to groove with.
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

nothin' to do with the original topic: i hate to say this, but i wasn't the one who came up with that vin diesel quote, so there's no real need to quote me on it. :(

do a google search for "random fact about vin diesel" and watch the hours of your life tick by... :cool:
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig the drums. I'm not a fan of Victor Wooten anyhow.

Anyone know the name of this drummer? I wouldn't mind checking out some of his stuff.

Edit: J. Andrews.
  7. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Now, that drummer can play. I agree that this kind of playing has no place in a song with vocals, but in this situation it fills up the other half of the musical space.
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    That's some seriously tasty playing. Actually, a friend of mine's getting to this point in his playing. Just sick stuff.
  9. draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    thats a really bad mix. The drums are way louder than the bass and it's a bass demonstration...

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  11. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    He is slightly "bordering" on overplaying, but if you live in England, the majority of what I hear is this, but with bad time.

The mix was crap. I think with a better mix, this would be ok. Not what I would want behind me though... ;)
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think he's overplaying... a little, some sections are way choice though, some parts it sounds like he lost track a little about what the bass is doing under him. It also sounds like he's just practicing ideas of the song, not a worked out performance, which is aiight with me.

I've performed this song with a drummer before and my drummer purposefully took the opposite approach(less notes) in order to contrast the already fairly complicated bass part. It worked beautifully, while it still gave the drummer ample room to get out his inner drummer at certain spots.
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Well, no, this is a drum demonstration, actually.
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Didn't like it. It lacked greatly in volume dynamics, which is important enough normally but even moreso when there's only a couple of instruments. It can make the difference between your drums sounding cool and complex or sounding like "nothing but constant fills" as this one does.

If you're going to play THAT much against a single other instrument, you need to add subtlety to differnt parts so it doesn't sound like incessant noodling. It could have been mixed or mic'ed badly though, with all the drums getting equal volume.
  15. middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    The drummer is definitely talented but it is disturbing how poorly he judges when to (over)play and when to shut up.He pretty much misses all the little breaks and hits. But this sounds like a home-type kind of recording anyway, the mix being drum heavy and all that - I don't think much was meant by it. Does anyone know where this is from?
    I could think of quite a few other Wooten tracks who are more bad taste...with no help from an overdubbed drummer!
  16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    haha I dunno. I just saw you say it. If you want me to take your name out, let me know man!

17. I think you guys are all taking this thing too seriously. This drummer set up his recorder, played along with victor, and posted it somewhere, for fun. I highly doubt he was trying to impress us with his tastefulness or whatever else you all have had problems with. Sometimes people just play, without regard how they will be judged. Was it busy, yes. Was it loose, yes. Does that make it bad or an insult, no. If we all stayed in our rooms practicing until we were worthy to be heard, we would all still be in our rooms.
  18. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I think his technique is pretty tasty.

I think the playing is a bit over the top, but that may have been the point.

I think the mix and the drum sound in general is pretty crappy and that has a lot to do with some averse reactions.

P.S. that sounds like an electronic kit. Well, the cymbals do. They're most of what I don't like about the sound of the drums.
  19. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Personally, I think the drummer isn't that hot. He OK, but not making me sit up and take notice.
    Kinda sloppy and his fills are pretty basic. But not in the basic sense that he's doing it to be that way, from what I can hear.
    Just he sounds limited in his ability thats all. All the fills sound kinda the same, not really locking in with what the bass is doing a whole lot. Just blowing the same fill with a bit of variation to it. Grooving?, I disagree. If he was grooving he would shut-up his left hand a bit and make some breathing room for when he does accenting ghost notes.
    BTW, I've heard JD Blair play this tune with Victor Wooten, need I say more?!?!? Maybe I was spoiled from that!! ;)

Hey, he's having fun and I guess thats all that counts really. :D
    More power to him!!
    ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!! :bassist: