Most Disturbing!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've read about the latest fad among some gays. It's called "bug chasing". Rolling Stone did an article on it in their last issue, and after reading it, I went to do more research on it. My God, people, have we as humans gone as low as we can? "Bug chasing" is gay men aggressively seeking out HIV positive men to have unprotected sex with. They feel that the act of getting the virus is erotic and once they have it, they can have all the unprotected sex they can. Being that alot of these guys also sleep with women, this is more than "just their problem". This is sick and stupid! :mad:
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Okay, why won't this thing change my thumb thing to a thumbs down?
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

Getting the HIV virus is erotic?

Knowing they have the virus - I would hope they wouldn't have sex with *anyone* without first telling them that they have it.

Or do they really *want* to pass it on to others?

And why would they *want* to have HIV themselves anyway?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    it seems to me to indicate that some folks really loathe themselves.
  5. I have nothing against gays - but this practice is sick! I'm also aware that not all gays will be into this. As usual a few rotten apples.......:(

Don't these guys realise this is a killer??? And Woodchuck you're so right - it's scary that some of these guys will swing both ways and spread it around........:mad:
  6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    if they are passing it on to others ... ie the KNOW they have it but the other part doesn't... is called murder. there are supreme court rulings on this i believe.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    That's disgusting beyond words.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    took care of it, big guy :)
  9. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO

my thoughts exactly...

10. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    thats sick!

that should be a crime or something, its murdering people spreading HIV, kind of "passive murder"....

i'd like to read that but im afraid ill be puking after reading it....its really satanic
  11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I remember seeing an episode of ER about this. It just disturbs me that people would go out looking to contract this disease! Why don't they just go out and share some needles, while thier at it? Wouldn't that me just as easy? And that way there's always the added bonus!...the risk you may OD!! :rolleyes:
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've always loved Dan Savage.

There's a lot of people, gay or straight, with deep psychological issues, in this country. A lot.
  13. I have severe doubts that there are that many"bug chaser's". I'm sure they exist (its too crazy not to) but the numbers seem whacked...also, I'm sure its not just gay's that are doing it, I'm sure there are some straight and bisexual people doing it as well.

In addition, the part about counseling gays who are thinking of "bug chasing" seems like a real problem. I think counselors should rethink their approach, because

1) It's definately harmful to them and other people. and
    2) its like cigarettes, I don't think people realize just how much hell HIV and AIDS will reek on them. Its not a quick glamorous death, its slow and painful. Often made worse by the medications you have to take.
  14. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I recall Dr. Mark Greene made mention of this on ER two years ago.

I wonder how prevalent this is.

I read there is problems in San Francisco with both some unknown disease and multi-drug resistant syphillis.

I don't get it. The poor people in Africa don't know any better. The people in the US definitely are aware. Have the new AIDS cocktails created a moral hazard?

There is no cure. We can now prolong the lives of the infected. The infected and healthy constantly interact.

We need a vaccine.

For the love of God people, be careful.

15. I can't believe that that tendency is actualy a trend and there's a big number of people into it..

It's just so stupid.. Poor people.. DOn't theyhave anything better to do with their lives?
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    To quote a former "bug chaser" now living with HIV: "You think catching the HIV virus is erotic? Good, follow me around after I've taken my medication. After you've seen me throw up for a week, tell how erotic you think it is then."
  17. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    on a lighter note, i believe - if that's the latest rolling stone - that if you turn to the 'college music scenes' article, my band Phat Phunktion gets a quick mention as one of the bands worth seeing in madison.
  18. Woodchuck, great quote.

However, the article almost makes it sound to me like he believes the AIDS virus stems from homosexuals, seeing as that he uses the word "gay" like every other phrase. First of all, not EVEN CLOSE to all homosexuals have that method of sex in the first place. Secondly, the rate of AIDS among heterosexuals is almost as high as it is for homosexuals.

Sorry, the word "gay" just p1sses me off. When describing someone, people will say "He/She's gay." Do they also meet people and say they are straight? What's the difference? Labels destroy society and create population barriers. And the fact that people that happen to be interested sexually in people of the same sex or of both sexes have a line drawn between them and us is pure BS, plain and simple.

There are sexual deviancies that straight people do that are just as horrifying. For an example, before condoms really became as "mainstream" as they are today, groupies still followed band members around relentlessly, and the band used 'em and tossed 'em. Think they (band and the groupies) didn't pick up STD's from that?

I really like rustyshackelford's post. Doesn't mention sexual preference once, yet illustrates the problem. There, without a doubt, are many "bug chasers" that are heterosexual. But of course that wasn't mentioned....

Sorry everyone, just blowin' off steam in a very sensitive topic to me.
  19. Be this fact or fiction: EEEWWWW! :(

I guess it's just another way to spread the misery.
    I'm gonna die, now you're gonna die. :confused:

This world is headed for the rocks, I tell ya.