1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most durable 6550's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warpeg, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I love my SVT-2 Pro. However, it is sick. Its power tubes are finally wearing-out to the point where the amp is getting a bit too quiet and distorted. They are your standard issue EH 6550's. I've gotten about three years off hard use out of them--no complaints here.

Now, I've replaced tubes tons of times, but I have an opinion-based question for all of you in the know about 6550's. In your experiences (primarily with all-tube SVT-type amps), what 6550's offer the most durability and longevity? Though tone is a wonderful thing, I'm more concerned with the long haul at the moment. Ideas?

2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I use SED winged C 6550s. I had the same set in my SVT-CL the whole time I had it, and I've had the same pair in my V4 for over a year without a problem.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My amp tech recommends and instaled (nos) GE 6550s in both of my SVT's. He buys lots of them on ebay ($25-$50 each) and then tests/matches up sets to use together. They sound fantastic and have the reputation of lasting a long-long time.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    +1 for the Winged C (formerly Svetlana). I like their tone as well.

JR

5. IronRadio

IronRadio

Jan 8, 2008
  6. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Where can a guy get a matched sextet of these GE 6550A's?

7. IronRadio

IronRadio

Jan 8, 2008
    Expect to pay about $100/ea... if you can find them. What's weird is that some of the older Groove Tube 6550s were relabeled GE 6550-As as were some of the Hot-Rod labeled 6550s.

Having said that, I have smoked almost every brand of new production KT88 and even had a SED KT88 go blue on me in one of my stereo amps. But I have yet to see a JJ KT88 fail. Even in a Fender 400PS. And they're a 6550 direct replacement.

Take the info for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary.

I have a matched sextet of them if you want...

:bassist:

8. A vote here for the JJ KT....77 Sorry I haven't tried the JJ KT88, but The JJKT77 was the only tube that could handle my old '70's Aus amp. So when it come to a new set I'd have no hesitations for a KT88 from JJ With a bit of research of course 1st.

9. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    keep your eyes on ebay for old rivera tbr amps. i got my tbr-5, with 8 nos ge 6550's for $750. :bassist: you could always swap the tubes and sell off the amp for not much of a loss.....

10. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    for what this is worth!
    BbbyBld Oct 13, 2005 Meridian, MS
    The original Tung Sol 6550 was the best ever.
    GE's were more fragile than Tung-Sol, and had the silver getter flashing on the sides of the glass. This reflects heat back to the plates and causes them to run hotter. GE did this to other power tube types. Fender reduced the power output of some of their amps because of this while burning through stocked GE tubes.
    - Winged C are inconsistent. The good ones are nice, but there are a lot of bad ones.

11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Zombie thread resurrection! Sadly the Winged C are no longer, so I'd probably go with JJ KT88's.

12. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    what about for a 2006 svtcl?
    from what i read the ge6550a is the only way to go..
    p in md