1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most durable/reliable bass one can buy for $300

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FourBanger, Mar 17, 2013.

1. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Was wondering what folks would nominate as the most durable and reliable bass one could buy with a $300 budget, new or used.

2. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Used MIM Fender P. Craigslist is usually littered with them! Built like a tank, one pickup, minimal electronics, little to go wrong, bolt on neck. Done.

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe a Squier if buying new?

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Squier CV's can be had for around $350 brand new.

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    I thought about that, and I am a big fan of Squiers, but as far as reliability, I think the used MIM would be more reliable, given it has a better stock jack, better wiring and pots as well. Don't get me wrong, I think the Squier line is great, but feel the MIM's edge them out in reliability.

6. Douvi

Douvi

Mar 10, 2012
    Chicagoland
    Used G&L Tribute L2000 would be my purchase.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I doubt that. Every CV I have played was better in fit and finish then MIM. I don't think I would put the MIM hardware up as a "Better" standard either.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Of course I am not a Fender guy though so....

9. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    The other thing about the MIM is you can usually even find one for a bit less than $300 used if you are patient, and then if you aren't a fan of the pup, install the pup of your choice and you really don't need to do anything else to it. I've owned several Classic Vibe telecasters (have not owned a CV bass though) and the switch, input jack and wiring were a little concerning). Would be fine for playing just at home, but if I was playing out with a band I'd be thinking about re-wiring it with better/reinforced solder joints and a more robust jack, but yeah, aside from that the CV's are awesome instruments and seem to be more consistent across the board as far as fit and finish over the MIM's. My brother's MIM standard P with a Fralin pup is just an amazing bass and can hold it's own for sure. I also have a MIM Classic 50's P which gives my '76 P a run for it's money, but that's a few notches above a standard MIM P in regard to quality and price though.

10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    Yep, if a used G&L Tribute came your way I'd definitely get that over a MIM Fender.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Used Carvin. Not easy to find for <$300, but worth it if you can.

12. sterling sub ray4. cant pass it up for the money.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Ash body, 22 fret rosewood fingerboard, 34" scale, proficient himass stringthru body bridge, double humbucker pick-up, Wilkinson machineheads.

Three band active equalizer with switch for: front humbucker/both/rear humbucker.

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    I'm for Squier CV.

15. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    Why do you emphasize reliability so much? Did you own an Audi lately? :D

Most passive guitars and basses are reliable. The major problem is low quality potentiometers and output plugs. Modern MIM and made in Asia usually suffer here. Plus any new bass might experience movements in the neck, so buying something 10+ years that's still right is better.

IIRC a good way to get high quality electronics and an old neck is a Kramer Focus.

16. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    no-one builds durable quite like Peavey does. you should be able to find several choices in the price range you suggested.

17. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you can drive nails with a MIM Fender and it will stay in playable shape! proably would still be in tune, also!:)

18. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    New or used Ibanez, preferably originated in Japan or as Indonesia. An instrument made in Fujigen factory may be tough to get for 3 bills, but it happens. And that's your best bet IMO.

New Squier. Used Peavey, made in USA.

-S.

19. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I drive a 2000 Honda Odyssey with 214000 miles on it and it runs just fine.

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA