Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Durable Strings (for us poppers)...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dmband908, Apr 6, 2004.

1. D'Addaro

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  2. DR

27 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Rotosound

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. Elixirs

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. Dean Markley

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  6. Ernie Ball

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  7. GHS

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Fodera

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  9. Fender

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Other Bass Brands (Warwick, EBS, etc)

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. dmband908

dmband908

Mar 11, 2004
    USA
    I pop strings, i dont know if its my technique or my bridge or what. I use elexirs now, is that why? What are the best strings to use that wont pop?

Chris

2. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    You might want to have someone look at your bridge. Sometimes there can be sharp bits that cause premature breaking of strings.

J.

3. The acoustic player in my band uses elixers and they always break, even after he smoothed the bridge down a bit.

4. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    last 3 years i might have broken one string, and that was from being stupid with the tuners. elixirs last for ever, tone wise and i love um. but i agree with gettin someone to looke at the bridge, also when u put new strings on take a pencil and draw on the saddles the string runs over. the graphite will act as lubricant for the string. :D

theres my helpfull hint of the day

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If there is nothing wrong with the nut or bridge, you might want to lighten your playing a bit if you really like to dig in.

Let the amp do the work not the string with excessive force.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So far my Elixirs are holding up well with popping.

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    *agree*

I'm fairly heavy handed, but I don't have problems with strings snapping. You might also look at a thicker gauge. Just my two cents.

8. I have never broken a string in my 35 year career.

I currently use Thomastik-Infeld Power Bass Series for slapping and popping, they last long and keep their tone.

Try them out!

[​IMG]
    Treena