Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most ecclectic discography from one particular artist

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bull_Nasty, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Bull_Nasty

Bull_Nasty Banned

Apr 23, 2004
    I think that his would have to be Neil Young. The man has made headway into every decent genre of music known to man. Here are my recommendations if you want to experience the thick of Neil Young....

because there is way more to Neil than "Southern Man", "Hear Of Gold", "Old Man"...although FM radio would have you believe otherwise.

1) Trans- 1982
    This is Neil Young's futuristic concept album, which is a fine blend of voice distrotion, techno rock, and guitars. This album is so dated it almost sounds like something you might have heard at a skating rink back in the 80s....yet it's also a "must-have" at the same time.

2) On The Beach- 1974
    A very dreary, mellow album this one was. Neil's gives a pretty melancholy view of the world, while entertaining us with songs about Patti Hurst, Charles Manson, and Carrie Snodgrass. The album features guest spots from David Crosby and Graham Nash.

3) Old Ways- 1985
    Country. Not country-ish...or country-rock...but pure country. This album, while it sounds a bit contrived, features steel guitars, and even a guest spot from Willie Nelson.

4) Mirror Ball- 1995
    In 1995, Neil upped the ante, leaving the familairness of Crazy Horse behind and picking up Pearl Jam as his backing band. The synergy between the 2 groups is remarkable, and they bring out a side of Neil not seen in his Crazy Horse setting. However, I will say that Pearl Jam without Neil Young is like a cow without boobies. Pretty useless.

And of course there are others.....

2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Like "This Note's For You" - R&B with a horn section. Some of it was pretty cool, too...

I hate to state the obvious choice, but the Beatles tackled just about every genre in a 6 year career, and made up a bunch of new ones along the way. Not an entire album's worth, mind you, but quite a bit of diversity.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    John Zorn. Often times he will have 8 different genres within one song!

He's done death metal, jazz, electronic bleeps, classical jewish music, noise-scapes, and lots of other stuff. He created the landscape for guys like Mr. Bungle and Fantomas. They wouldn't exist without him.

4. Bull_Nasty

Bull_Nasty Banned

Apr 23, 2004
    Beck- hip-hop, folk, techo, country, pseudo metal, 70s style funky dance tunes

Ween- country, soul, rock, metal

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Nuclear Rabbit - metal, punk, country, polka, r&B. Granted, the style switches are a lot more subtle than a Zorn or a Fantomas, but they are there.

6. Marcus Miller has played on many MANY cd's of different Genre's. Check out his website for a complete list, its huge!

7. Zappa
    Zorn

8. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I can't believe I didn't think of Zorn!! I'm kickin' myself!! Yeah just one song off of any album like Naked City covers about 15 genres.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, if we are going to throw session bassists in there, we can't overlook Tony Levin and Lee Sklar. Those guys cover everything from disco to King Crimson to Madonna.

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Cheer-Accident.

Over the course of one album, they've done folk, fusion, jazzcore, electro, hardcore, metal, and Primus-esque jam rock.

One of the most unique bands I've ever heard.

I also second the Beck and Ween votes.

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    David Byrne

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Miles Davis.
    What hasn't he done?

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would say Joni Mitchell - so there are acoustic folky solo albums, whole orchestras recently and some of the best live Jazz bands ever - Jaco as musicial director, plus Pat Metheny, Lyle Mays,Michael Brecker etc.

Her collaborations with Mingus and heavyweight Jazz muscians like Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter. Pop records like Yellow Taxi, Raised on Robbery etc etc.

Albums like Hejira are unique as well - stripped-down duos or trios with Jaco - is it Jazz, Folk, Rock, Fusion - like nothing else....:)

14. I agree.Mr. Bungle & Fantomas are very influenced by John Zorn.I've been listening The Big Gundown,John Zorn's interpretations of Ennio Morricone compositions, and it really reminds me of Mr. Bungle.