Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

most effective amp for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    Hey everyone. I am really confused on alot of things so I'm hoping someone can help me out a little bit. I currently own a Mesa RR 1x15 (400 watts 8 ohms) and plan on getting a RR 4x10 to go with it (not sure what the wattage is on that one, maybe someone knows?). Anyway, the next purchase I have to think about is a head. I don't want the poweramp/pre combination, tried it and i hated it. So here are my questions.

-Say I get a 600 watt head. Would that be effective with two power hungry cabs? Will I be underpowering them?
    -How much power do you think I should be looking for?
    -I have an oppurtunity to get 2 GK 800RB heads at a very cheap price. Would using the 2 of them at the same be ok? Is that even possible?

If my questions didnt make sense or if i need to clarify something just tell me, im new to this stuff so i didnt know where to start. Thanks!

2. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    With 2 GK's you'll have both amps running on 8 Ohm. The double resistance and thus half their power. That won't be a wise move...
    I'd consider a GK 2001

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    There is no such thing as underpowering an cab! :mad:

That being said, that is all. ;)

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I had some what the same set up once. It was two gk 800rb's into a swr 610 and 8x8. It work great but the cabs were 4ohms and had alot more speaker area than what you are looking at. With the 800rb you need a 4ohm cab to get the 300 watts.

5. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    oh sorry...i thought i read that it was bad for cabs or something.

ok so the 2 800RB's are out.

How much power do you think I would need if i play large auditoriums and medium sized clubs?

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You are only underpowering if your amp starts clipping, but you need more volume. That's being underpowered for the situation, not underpowering the cabs.

7. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    alright i think i understand now, thanks for explaining.

i should add that i am a plug in and play kinda guy, and i dont need endless EQ options or whatever. i just want something that sounds good, has a good amount of power, and is built to last.

8. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Well, just keep this in mind...

with a GK800rb, you can use a 4Ohm cab and still get 300watts out of it, or you can use an 8Ohm cab and get 200watts out of it.

My head for example, will run 300watts at 4Ohms or 200watts at 8Ohms... so, if I run one 8Ohm cab, it gets 200watts, if I run 2 8Ohm cabs, the head runs at 300watts but each cab only sees 150watts...

blah blah.. that was just something to think about.

Also, keep in mind that being able to EQ each cab seperately is awesome (IMO).. I love doing that... not biamping, but just Eqing each cab a little bit differently, just sounds great.

I think with 2-800rb's you would be so good to go you wouldnt even know... sure, when we sit here and read the "specs" and look at the watts, it may not seem like tons, but plug in 2-800rbs, 1-RR 1x15 and 1 RR 4x10 and tell me it isn';t going to be loud enough.. I still won't believe you.

I would probably go the route of a power amp + one of those 2001rbp preamps, but maybe not as I REALLY love the versatility of 2 preamps.

9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    anybody else think that's a good idea? EQing the cabs differently sounds pretty cool.

10. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I dunno what kind of music you're into, but one good example I can think of is the bassist for Green Day... his old tone, it just rocked.

If you use kazaa at all, serch for a live video, umm.... green day - when i come around (woodstock 94)..

I read that he split his signal from his bass into an Ampeg SVT-IIP and a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+.. each head running a seperate Ampeg 8x10... (then I read somewhere else that he used 2 SVT-IIP's instead of 1-SVT + 1-Mesa).. but he definately use to EQ his cabs seperately and he always had good tone.

I use to love having 1 cab EQ'd for oldschool low, fat, bassy tone, and having the other cab EQ'd more to cut thru with mids and highs... the best part was standing between the 2 cabs!!!!! I loved it.. I really did, I miss it too... gave me the ability to really fatten up my tone without screwing with the ability to cut thru those marshall half-stacks.

11. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i'm mostly a chili pepper kinda guy if anything. i know flea used the 800RB's at some point.

maybe i'll give this a shot.

12. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    ya, i'm mostly a chili peppers kinda guy too, and no offence, but you can buy all the gallien krueger heads and m/b cabs that you want, but untill Flea gives you his fingers and that groove going on in his head, you wont sound like him!

Have you ever tried a sansamp rbi?

I use one and I get a pretty darn close Flea-tone.. amazingly close actually, plus, it has great versatility... I can send a clean signal (bass singnal, not rbi tone) to my 15" speaker for the low-end and an effected tone (bass+rbi) to my 2x10... it is alot like what Flea would do in a live setting to go thru the PA.. he would go direct for the lows and mic his 2x10 for the highs.

funny thing tho about RHCP or Flea's tone, I have video clips of him using g/k 800rb's, 2000rb's, 2001rb's, trace elliot head and 2-4x10 cabs, 3-ampeg 8x10's, m/b 6x10's, m/b 8x10's, m/b 2x15's, m/b 2x15 + 2x10 and a whole bunch of other combos and he pretty much sounds the same.

just a thought.

13. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i'm not into the whole "sounding like Flea" deal. most of the time i dont really care what head i play through because it sounds the same to me, im more concerned with getting something durable and powerful. i just hate those power/pre setups, doesnt sound right to me for some reason.

14. I think it would be worth giving a pre/power combination another shot, maybe the one you played through just wasn't setup very well.

It sounds to me like exactly what you'd want, just plug into something that sounds good, leave it, and crank up the volume on a large poweramp until you have what you need.

15. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I didn't mean to sound like you were trying to sound like Flea.. I guess obviously it sounded like that, but.. I hope you didn't take offence.

I have never had the opportunity to play thru a g/k head, but I bet it is just what you're looking for... A guy who plays locally in my area plays thru a 800rb and it sounds awesome (with a 4x10 crate cab of all things!)

I just wonder if it will be enough power for a 1x15 + 4x10... you could always add a small power amp to it if you need more power? (I know you aren't into that setup, but it really shouldn't efect tone much at all, it would just give you more power and you wouldn't have to worry at all about ohms)

If I were you, and if it is a really good deal, I cant see how you could go wrong with 2 800rbs.. but, (I know it's too late) it would have been nice to get 2 4ohm cabs had you known you would want to go this route.

You could always sell the your 8 ohm cab if you had to tho right? And if you wanted to get rid of the 800rb's, you shouldn't have much problem (I see them go on ebay all the time) + if you're getting a good deal, you might even make money!

One thing is for sure, with 2 800rbs, each one powering a seperate cab, you would be able to adjust each EQ slightly for the ultimate tone (or not), plus you would be able to set each output volume so that you're cabs are both nice and evenly loud... to me, that would be an insane rig.

Good luck either way. I wish I could find some old road ready cabs around these parts, God knows I've tried!

16. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i have been thinking about going back to that idea, but i really dont know because it just seems too complicated for me. but maybe it wouldnt be, i dont know. i'll still think about it after i hear more ideas.

17. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    no offence taken at all. since i have a similar setup to flea (MusicMans, mesa cabs..) i get that alot, but it all just sounds the best to me so thats why i get it.

i am just worried that the 2 800RB's would be a waste since there isnt that much power in them. i really do like the idea of tweaking 2 cabs seperately though. is there a way i can do that with the poweramp/pre setup? like 2 preamps?

18. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    Sure, that's easy. Except, you would have to use each channel of your power amp for each cab (stereo mode).. you wouldn't be able to go briged mono mode..

ie: split signal from bass (easy, buy a 10$ cord that does this) into each preamp... then:

preamp 1 >> poweramp channel A >> cab 1
    preamp 2 >> poweramp channel B >> cab 2

sansamp rbi is kinda neat in that it has 2 outputs, 1=effected and 2=uneffected.. so I can go:

bass into sansamp
    uneffected output >> amp 1 (or poweramp channel A) >> cab 1
    effected output >> amp 2 (or poweramp channel B) >> cab 2

I like the sansamp cause I love the uneffected tone of my stingray, so I can use the uneffected out for the low and had some sansamp hifi sizzle for the highs... it also has a blend knob so the effected signal can be just about all stingray or you can blend in the tone of the sansamp..

Have you ever plugged your stingray into an effects return of an amp so that you are only hearing your 'ray (no amp preamp, etc)??? I do it sometimes, (I just hit a button on the sansamp to deactivate it) and I really like it... pure balls... I use an MXR microamp to boost the signal from my stingray when I do this so it stays the same volume (stingray not loud enough on its own)... it's kinda nice.

Mental, I could always do some short recordings to show you what kinda of tone you can get from the sansamp.. pretty sure you would like it.

19. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    just to get my bearings:

if i got the 2 800RB heads, it would be better to use 2 4 ohm cabs instead of 2 8 ohm cabs. alright then that probably wont do that since i dont want to trade my RR's in just yet.

if i wanted to tweak cabs individually with the power/pre deal, i would need another preamp and a poweramp. what would be a good poweramp for this situation? is it a complicated setup that might be unreliable? my cabs dont have the speakon outputs (i think almost all poweramps do, am i wrong?) and i dont want to go overboard with power, i just want enough to be heard. im still not crazy about that whole thing.

if i got a 2001RB, that would probably just be easier than all of this but it wouldnt be any fun.

are the new GK heads reliable and built well?

any other brans of head units i should consider?

20. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    I think the 2001rb would be tons of fun! I'd love to rock one of those!!

Um.. any poweramp would do.. just go for a reliable company and get the ideal wattage for your cabs.. pretty simple setup, but you'd wanna try out the preamp(s) before buying.. on the other hand, I never seen a person have a problem selling a sansamp rbi...

You could pickup a rbi for like 200 and then just find a used or decent priced poweramp.

how about a Mesa M2000? pretty great sounding head, but again, quite a few knobs... but, play with it and find a tone you like and you would have lots of power.

There ae soo many heads, you really just gotta try them untill you find what you like.

It took me a while to really love the sansamp, but it is really simple.. drive for more fattness, presence knob for some hifi finger noise, bass/mid/treb to suit, and the blend knob for an extra tweak (I roll it back slightly for what I feel is a better midrange tone).

Can't you go to a local music store and try some of these amps or preamps out? That is the only way to ever know, unless you have patience to keep buying stuff untill you're satisfied.