1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most effective online or book method for learning piano?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by glocke1, Nov 25, 2018.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    Well I picked up a Yamaha YDP163 this weekend...

I play bass and get around pretty well on that instrument and mainly wanted a KB/digital piano here so I could get a better grasp on hearing different chord voicings/chord substitutions.

Anyway, I've got a pretty rudimentary understanding of piano in that I know what the keys are, can play different chords, and can play fairly simple melodies in the upper registers with bass notes on the bottom, but I'd like to be able to do more than that.

Lessons ultimately probably wouldn't work due to my schedule (eventually I'll fit a few in here and there, but on a regular basis its just not going to happen), so whats the most effective book or software for teaching yourself ?

Looking on Amazon it looks like Alfreds gets pretty high ratings.

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    John Thompson's method books are good. They've been used for years by hundreds of thousands of students. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

bholder likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

like what, for example?

i think it depends on what you want to accomplish: if you want piano technique to be a part of your 'quest', you're going to have to get lessons --- sooner rather than later --- and they don't have to be the every-week-at-4pm drill. a lot of instructors will work with (and prefer!) working adults!

but if you mostly want to work on 'theory' stuff: get to it by way of theory content/courses/books and forget about the "classical piano training" protocols...at least for now.

having the piano available will take your appreciation of all instruments (and your bass playing) to a whole new level! good luck! :thumbsup:

4. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA

hard to say right now, but i guess at the end of the day I'd eventually like to get to the point where there is fluidity in my playing, and I can do more than just play around with chord voicings. Ideally I'd get to the point where I can play complete songs...rock/blues I guess, jazz tunes are probably a bit of a stretch.

JRA likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

got it! i really think you'd benefit from some personal instruction. get on the phone (and/or recommendations from other musicians) and find out who is teaching adults with jobs --- easy stuff! --- and those teachers will roll with your schedule = they'll teach you how/what to practice!