Most efficient 15" cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bent23, Feb 19, 2001.

1. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    What, in everyone's opinion, is the MOST EFFICIENT 15" Cabinet that you are aware of? I will be receiving a Trace Elliot AH600SM Amp/Head in afew days and am interested in getting the most out of it. I already have an ADA Bassline XV (2X10 & 2X5) 250w/8ohms for the mids/highs. I now need something for the lowwwww end, preferably a 15" that won't suck up everything the Trace has to offer.

2. You may want to try out a Bag End S15-D.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    According to the Bag End website, all of the 15" cabinets they list have a sensitivity rating of 103db. According to the EBS website, the EBS 15" cabinets have the same rating...

So, the two are tied, at least in terms of efficiency.
  4. FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Definately go with the bag end
  5. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I just found a used Bag End S15D for $199,it sounds great but apparently the prior owner had a cat and the carpet covering is in poor shape with hair and fuzziness and whatnot,but at that price I'll live with it for now and maybe someday get it recovered.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah? EBS claims their cabinet covering is cigarette-burn resistant, beer spillage resistant, and scratch and tear resistant! And, their cabs are really great sounding! I'd strongly recommend at least TRYING them before you decide not to buy one...
  7. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    OK,but can I get one for $199?
  8. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks for all the input . Do you think I can find a Bag End S15-D for under $500?
    We have a music store here in Memphis called "String N Things". It's the biggest one here. They have got to have the least knowledgeable staff and the highest markup on equipment I've ever seen- You would think they were selling hammers and toilet seats to the U.S government.
    I'll try Bass Northwest, any other suggestions?

9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Get a job there and do the local musicians a favor!
  10. extreme

Mar 20, 2000

Bass Northwest has 'em for $399 + shipping...
  11. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I had a cab that was used as a cat scratch post and I shaved it. I used ordinary haircut clippers and it worked great. That is assuming it is a felted carpet type cover. It didn't look new but it looked pretty good. Like normal wear and tear.
  12. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Hi Bizzaro,thanks for the tip!
  13. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Also look at Bass Central in Florida. They have a real knowledgable staff, and even though they are a more high end store, they may be able to make you a deal. They sold me my Warwick Corvette 6 mail order, and cut me a heck of a deal.
  14. Washington Music Center sells them for $365.00 plus shipping (or tax if you live in MD).
  15. bent23

bent23 Guest

Jan 3, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Here's my Problem.

I've got this Trace Elliot AH600/7- (300watts per side stereo) minimum impedance 4 ohms per channel. I won't be doing my amp any justice by driving 8 ohm cabs with it, I've tried it- I'm not getting what I want out of it. I want to get the full 300 watts per channel out of it, so I want either two 4 ohm 15" cabs, or a 4ohm 2X10 and a 4ohm 1X15. Efficiency isn't my big beef, I just want cabs that will provide me with a quality tone (what a subjective statement) and allow me to utilize the full potential of the amp, without having to worry about clipping it when I my guitarist or organist won't listen to reason. As for efficiency, that's not a big deal, I just don't want a cab that's going to waste a lot of energy that could be going to productive use.

Am I making sense or am I as ignorant as I sometimes believe myself to be?

Please...Someone... Enlighten me..

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    The efficiency of a cab can more than make up for the difference in power you'll get from your amp. I've heard that the Bag End S-15D is so efficient you don't need much power at all to move a whole lotta air. I'm guessing that your trace will push about 200 watts at 8 ohms, which isn't bad considering the Bag End is rated at 200 watts RMS.
  17. Reading your answers arose me another question:

Two cabs with the same efficiency but the first with 4 ohms impedance and the other with 8 ohms move the same quantity of air (used one at a time with the same amp)?
    I.E. Do you obtain the same sound pressure?

Thanks for your help.