1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most efficient positioning to play this line

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by qfbass, Jul 30, 2017.

1. A band I'm playing in has asked me to double this keys part, and it's at a pretty fast tempo so I won't be able to play it without efficiency with my fretting hand, particularly between the Eb to Cm chords in bars 4-5 (that's where I'm having trouble mainly).

So - how would you position yourself leading up to and through bars 4-5? You really have to play the Eb from the 11th fret on the E string because of the Gm arpeggio up high which ends on the high A. I can't decide if it's easier to start with:
    1. my first finger on the Eb and slide the last two notes of the chord up the neck or start with:
    2. my second finger on the Eb and play it across all 4 strings and then shift that position down a minor 3rd.

FYI: Tempo is about ♩=180 I'm on a 4 string, and the notation is just a super quick finale transcription I did of a small section - it doesn't repeat these 6 bars. I could just move some parts up/down an octave to make it more playable but thought I'd check first!

Attached Files:

2. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Do you have to play in that octave?

3. I do not think in SN that far up in the ledger line. First thing I'd do is drop down into an octave I can function from. Looks like a fairly easy line if back down in where we normally play.

Yes double, but, in a lower octave.

4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    wow, that is way above my pay grade ;). Either way you have to shift. Seems starting on the first finger and either sliding the last two notes or stretching your fingers and using 1-2-3-4 for each note. The question is to slide the Gm to Eb on the A string then you can step down to the C on the E string, or to go Gm, step down to the Eb on the E string and have to slide to the C. I would do the first way and make the jump to the Eb on the A string.

I'd also be tempted to always start your arpeggio with finger one on the A string and just shift up and down the neck.

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    The repeating four-note motif lends itself to a fairly simple (albeit slightly stretched out) grab with the 1st finger on the first note, 2nd finger on the second note, either barre w/ 2nd finger if it goes up a fourth or use 4th finger if it goes up a fifth, and then slide to the last note. Lather rinse repeat. I'd probably also slide down to the low C on beat #4 of the second measure, and I might use the open G string for beat #4 of the last measure just to re-set my hand (presuming the next passage is similar to measure one).

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Like Bob_Ross said, the pattern is always the same. Root-fifth-octave-9th ...

So you can play that with G on the 15th fret E strings ... quite simple but in 7/8 and depending on the BPM it could be difficult but the pattern is quite simple

7. Or....

G~~|---9---|-------|--10---|--11---| 1st string
    D~~|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A~~|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E~~|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string

Or catch the 9th on the D string two frets from the 8. I'd catch it over the 6th.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    But you can't do that pattern on the Eb because after the 9th you get to C below Eb and after that the pattern change a little so it makes the hands moves too much. If the riff is fast ( on top of being in 7/8 ) it could be a problem

9. Good point at fast tempos close is best.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  10. Thanks so much everyone.

It is fast BPM, so it is frustrating when I practice a position and eventually get it up to speed and it turns out it won't work at that tempo. I just got to that point doing:

Gm - positioned 10th fret A string
    Eb - 11th fret E string
    Cm - 8th fret E string

The issue is the high Bb on the 2nd Gm chord means that there's really no other option but to use those positions.

This shows the fingering I'm going to try using now in the positions I just mentioned. I think this seems like the most efficient way?
    Example Fingering.jpg

I feel like the key to making it doable is using my 3rd finger on that D in the 4th bar to free up my 2nd finger to set up the position for the Eb chord.

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    The transition from bar 4 to bar 5 looks really awkward using your first finger for both the high F and the low C.