Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Efficient Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tactician, Aug 3, 2002.

1. My brother-in-law who's a real techo, is always telling me that it's not raw wattage that matters but the watts and efficiency of the speaker and its' cabinet (and I though I could get esoteric!). (He also tells me that I must be dumb using valves when solid state is so much more advanced - but I can ignore that one because .......wel because I can OK?)

But he's got a point on the speakers - I'll bet there are some 1500 watt systems out there less loud than some other 250 watt set-ups.

So what's out there that would make the average amp sound really loud - without upgrading the amp? We're talking speaker efficiency - cabinet porting - folded horn design, whatever.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Eden 410 XST 36hz - 13k 1000 watts! Nuff Said!

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hey - he asked what was the most efficient design, and that would be a horn. :)

5. A true bass horn is the hands-down winner.

:D

For a 5-string bass, this translates to an air column 37 feet long, with a rectangular mouth opening of 9.5 x 12 feet.

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yeah, I was gonna build a rear loaded horn until I found out that just to get the Resonant Frequency below 40Hz would require an enormous mouth... So I made a nice big ported 2x15 :D

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The problem with efficient speakers is that they're usually not very good as far as freq response goes. Usually poor roll-off points. :(

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Nonsense, bag-end home-theatre powered 8x10's hooked in to the line-level out, flat response right down to 8Hz. :)

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    In terms of commercial cabs, SWR Goliath Sr. is tough to beat at 110db/1w.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Tough to believe, too. :)

11. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Yeah, specs are skectchy. But if I understand it correctly, it makes sense.

If you take two identical cabs and put them together, you get a 3db boost (according to articles I've read here and elsewhere). It follows then that if SWR is capable of making a 210 cab that puts out 105db/1w all they have to do is put 3 of those systems and engineer them into one cabinet. I realize there more to it than just glueing them together, but frankly I have a feeling the people that work there are actually ok at what they do.

Also, if you look at the specs for the senior it lists the -3db point at 55hz, pretty much in line with an earlier comment regarding efficiency and frequency cutoff compromise.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The difference in a 4x10 and a 2x10 is that the 2x10 is one sealed enclosure with 2 10"'s in it, while the 4x10 is a sealed enclosure as well.

In short, there's a difference in how much room there is for each individual speaker, although it can (and usually is) relatively the same as if you had 2 2x10"s, however it'll sound differently.

13. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

One of these companies are wrong. A Epifani 2x12 is louder when I did a a/b comparison. But it's rated at 103db/1w.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think your brother-in-law is right but probably not in the way you think - so the most "efficient" cabs that I have tried have sounded terrible, whereas the least efficient have usually sounded great! ;)

15. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Specs are one thing and the perception of volume is another. If eq'd well, a less efficient cab will sound louder than a poorly eq'd more efficient cab. If a cab is putting out more mids it will sound louder.I've seen this happen in person when my Ampeg 410HE (at 96db/w) sounded way louder than the a Goliath III because I was using a frowny EQ while the other bassist was going with an extreme smiley EQ despite pushing almost equal watts. Once I adjusted his EQ (with his permission) to resemble mine his cab blew mine away. Upshot, he didn't like the resultant tone.

Again, specs measure electrical facts not auditory perceptions.