1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most Efficient Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tactician, Aug 3, 2002.

1. My brother-in-law who's a real techo, is always telling me that it's not raw wattage that matters but the watts and efficiency of the speaker and its' cabinet (and I though I could get esoteric!). (He also tells me that I must be dumb using valves when solid state is so much more advanced - but I can ignore that one because .......wel because I can OK?)

But he's got a point on the speakers - I'll bet there are some 1500 watt systems out there less loud than some other 250 watt set-ups.

So what's out there that would make the average amp sound really loud - without upgrading the amp? We're talking speaker efficiency - cabinet porting - folded horn design, whatever.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  3. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Eden 410 XST 36hz - 13k 1000 watts! Nuff Said!

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hey - he asked what was the most efficient design, and that would be a horn. :)

5. A true bass horn is the hands-down winner.

:D

For a 5-string bass, this translates to an air column 37 feet long, with a rectangular mouth opening of 9.5 x 12 feet.

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yeah, I was gonna build a rear loaded horn until I found out that just to get the Resonant Frequency below 40Hz would require an enormous mouth... So I made a nice big ported 2x15 :D

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The problem with efficient speakers is that they're usually not very good as far as freq response goes. Usually poor roll-off points. :(

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Nonsense, bag-end home-theatre powered 8x10's hooked in to the line-level out, flat response right down to 8Hz. :)

9. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    In terms of commercial cabs, SWR Goliath Sr. is tough to beat at 110db/1w.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Tough to believe, too. :)

11. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Yeah, specs are skectchy. But if I understand it correctly, it makes sense.

If you take two identical cabs and put them together, you get a 3db boost (according to articles I've read here and elsewhere). It follows then that if SWR is capable of making a 210 cab that puts out 105db/1w all they have to do is put 3 of those systems and engineer them into one cabinet. I realize there more to it than just glueing them together, but frankly I have a feeling the people that work there are actually ok at what they do.

Also, if you look at the specs for the senior it lists the -3db point at 55hz, pretty much in line with an earlier comment regarding efficiency and frequency cutoff compromise.

12. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    The difference in a 4x10 and a 2x10 is that the 2x10 is one sealed enclosure with 2 10"'s in it, while the 4x10 is a sealed enclosure as well.

In short, there's a difference in how much room there is for each individual speaker, although it can (and usually is) relatively the same as if you had 2 2x10"s, however it'll sound differently.

13. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA

One of these companies are wrong. A Epifani 2x12 is louder when I did a a/b comparison. But it's rated at 103db/1w.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think your brother-in-law is right but probably not in the way you think - so the most "efficient" cabs that I have tried have sounded terrible, whereas the least efficient have usually sounded great! ;)

15. ihixulu

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Specs are one thing and the perception of volume is another. If eq'd well, a less efficient cab will sound louder than a poorly eq'd more efficient cab. If a cab is putting out more mids it will sound louder.I've seen this happen in person when my Ampeg 410HE (at 96db/w) sounded way louder than the a Goliath III because I was using a frowny EQ while the other bassist was going with an extreme smiley EQ despite pushing almost equal watts. Once I adjusted his EQ (with his permission) to resemble mine his cab blew mine away. Upshot, he didn't like the resultant tone.

Again, specs measure electrical facts not auditory perceptions.