Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Efficient way to remove back cavity plate?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by invisiman, Apr 2, 2004.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I'm trying to get mine off, but it's stubborn. And yes, all the screws are out :spit:

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Stick the end of a vacuum cleaner hose against it and lift straight up.

3. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Thanks. I never thought of that.

4. I had the same troubles with a peavey grind NTB...i used a shop vac to suck the plate off...i did what i had to do, then when i went to put the cover back on, it wouldn't fit! What i ended up doing is mounting a orbital palm sander in my bench vice and sanded around the edges of the plate to remove some of the materials to make it fit again...it worked great!

If you have that same trouble and you dont have those tools, regular sand paper and your hands also works great.

5. michaelsanford

michaelsanford Guest

Apr 4, 2004
    That's genious !

I've been prying mine off, gently, with a very sharp knife. Mine's plastic so it bites the side and doesn't mark it...

6. Originally Posted by pkr2
    Stick the end of a vacuum cleaner hose against it and lift straight up.

Doubled-over Duct Tape works well too. Everyone should have a roll in their gigbag... my 2c.

7. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I'd be afraid of stickyness gettin' transferred to the bass.

I love duct-tape, but the residue is killer!

8. Use a pick to pry it off. That's what I do.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    If all fails I use a watchmaker's screwdriver to pry it off (carefully).
    Use it on one of the holes in the plate so you don't damage the wooden edges of the cavity.

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

DEefinitely something to consider, but if you need to change a battery at a gig, a roll of duct tape is easier to find than a shop vac. Good idea.

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    True that....plus some goof off will take care of the residue in a moments time.

12. Jaco didn't need a coverplate. :D

13. Naptha, best residue remover ever. Safe (for the most part) on most any finish, even 50 year old lacquer. Bad thing is it's highly flammable- it's lighter fluid.

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Man, I don't know if it was "Naptha" or not, but one time I left a pack of gum in my pants and my mom dried it. I spent two hours with a can of lighter fluid and an old rag trying to get gum off the sides of the dryer. No fun :(