1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

most essential albums to listen to as a bassist

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Hordehunterx, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Hordehunterx

Hordehunterx

Apr 26, 2011
    What do you think are a MUST hear album in a bassists perspective

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Close to the edge.

3. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    any Rush album...
    Dark side of the moon by pink floyd
    Powerslave by Iron Maiden
    Thunder by Stanley Clark With Victor Wooten and Marcus Miller
    Any from Jaco Pastotius
    Any from John Patitucci

Depends a little on what style you're into but these are kinda my selection

4. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    The Jesus Lizard- Liar, and Goat, or all of 'em
    Shellac- At action Park
    The Redneck Manifesto- Friendship
    Gang of Four- Entertainment
    Cave- Psychic Summer
    Goblin- Profondo Rosso
    Jack Buck- Ugly
    Lightning Bolt- Wonderful Rainbow (this guy strings his bass with 2 bass strings and 2 banjo strings, awesome)
    The Mars Volta- Amputechure
    Red Sparowes- Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun

There's a few.

chuck norriss likes this.
  5. Must hear? No such thing.... of all the suggestions so far I have only listened to Jaco stuff, and it's had no influence on my 35+ years of gigging, 7 of that as a fulltime pro.

6. agree no such thing as MUST hear. A lot of what's mentioned above I've never heard. And you don't say much about your tastes. But here goes.

For one album only, I'd pick Chuck Rainey on Steely Dan's AJA.

For one bassist only, I'd pick James Jamerson - just google the cuts he played on and listen to whatever you like.

I'd listen to some Beatles of the Revolver - Rubber Soul vintage for the young McCartney, to get an idea of how to work melodic ideas into rock bass.

I'm not a big Rush fan but I understand the attraction to Geddy's playing.

For fretless, Jaco.

If you're interested in upright, Ray Brown on the Oscar Peterson Trio's West Side Story.

And pretty much anything Paul Chambers played on.

noeinstein likes this.
  7. I respectfully disagree with the above two posts, there are certain gold standards for playing certain styles that many (notice I didn't say all) people will agree on and it's not a bad idea to get your ears around those standards.

That said, iif you're into rock then the Zep albums are a must.

Jazz? Great places to start would be either of Miles Davis' quintets (Paul Chambers and Ron Carter), hard to miss there.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I've been playing bass guitar for 20+ years. Anyway:

I would never listen to Rush. From what I've heard the bass sound is really harsh and the playing is very tense-sounding.
    Dark side of the moon is an interesting record, but from a bass perspective maybe not so much.
    Iron Maiden, fair enough if you like Iron Maiden. I like Steve Harris he seems like a nice guy, but their records are very 'of their time'.
    I would never listen to Stanley Clarke or Vic Wooten. The pair of them together plus Marcus Miller sounds like torture.
    Pastorius is interesting for a while but he was a bit of a psycho so you will hear a lot of repetition in his playing that he probably wasn't aware of himself.
    Patitucci is probably quite good. I've never heard him play.

I suppose it depends if you want to impress other bass players or make hit records. If the latter, listen to some hit records. Writing hooks on bass guitar isn't easy, and it's not as easy to learn to do as 'double thumbing' or 'floating thumb' or any of that sort of stuff that bass players routinely waste their time on.

10cc likes this.
  9. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeow--so what /do/ you like?

--

10. Kevteop.... I agree with your analysis, but do yourself a favour and listen to Stanley playing double bass on Return To Forever's "Spain"..... magic! Not a MUST, but magic none the less.

11. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    60s Motown in particular james Jamerson tracks.

Early Beatles. Then later Beatles. The style changes.

Rush, thunder by MM, Clarke, and Wooten.

All blues by myles Davis. Good jazz album.

Iron Maiden. Steve Harris is solid

Sublime. Good mix of raggae, ska, and punk

RHCP. Flea is a well versed player.

For pop punk stuff I honestly like blink. Hoppus isn't a spectacular player but he does the job of a good PP bassist.

chuck norriss likes this.
  12. pan1k

pan1k

Sep 16, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    You and I are way too similar. Bromance

13. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    First off i gotta say this.. When i told him those sugestions i was talking about the construction of the basslines and the tones...
    What you say here is a review of the album not the basslines

Second off, you would never listen to rush.. ok, i get that some ppl don't like geddy's sound.. but you got to admit that the man is a frickin progressive genious... at least the majority of the worlds rock fans think so...

As for Iron maiden.. yeah you gotta like the style... tlaking about the sound.. that was the 80's heavy metal sound... there were no high-end recording devices that are around these days.. but ok listen to The Final Frontier by Iron maiden if you dont like the recording and you'll see that steve Harris i still a beast...

and the thunder album i must say its a very good pieace where they combine 3 basses playing togheter barely not needing any other instrument execpet for precussion...

so ok.. thats one opinion... i mean... I'm not arguing with you just setting the dots straight..

And its my humble opinion

14. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Frizzle Fry.

15. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    Jaco Pastorius - Jaco Pastorius
    Moving Pictures - Rush
    Thunder - SMV
    Outbound - Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Even if they aren't your style they show what the bass is capable of in the hands of some of the best players out there, giving you a level to aspire to reach.

16. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Booker T. & the MG's - any album, but mainly the later duck dunn stuff - Soul Jam is great (just been listening to it)...

Tool - any album - eg. lateralus

some Jaco, Jamerson, etc. etc.

Oh - Master of puppets by metallica. cliff burton rocks on that record. :bassist:

17. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Jun 5, 2009
    Texas
    The Who probably, just kind of assisting you in getting a hold on the whole "lead" line concept, and probably U2's War where you can hear more cohesiveness in the rhythm section while still being something worth listening to on it's own ex. "New Year's Day"

18. MN_Bass

MN_Bass Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Blues Brothers Soundtrack - Great bass lines and playing by Mr. Duck Dunn (RIP)
    Grateful Dead - Live in Europe 72 - Phil Lesh plays some tasty lines on this album.
    The Who - Live at Leeds - Lead style bass playing at its finest.
    Willie Dixon - Get a best of - Upright blues bass, great songwriter and player

guitarflinger likes this.
  19. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    +1

Plus I'll add...

Fragile, for Heart Of The Sunrise (among all the other songs)

The Yes Album, for Perpetual Change and Yours Is No Disgrace (see above comment).

For a Beatles album I greatly prefer,and would recommend, Rubber Soul.

20. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    One must hear from many genres:

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
    U2: The Joshua Tree
    Rush: Exit, Stage Left
    Pizzicato Five: The Sound of Music
    Hall and Oates: Rock n Soul Part 1
    The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Duran Duran: Rio