Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most essential effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alex, Dec 21, 2005.

1. I was thinking of adding one more pedal to my arsenal. I currently have an EHX Big Muff Pi, and a Crybaby From Hell (that's the name). I was wondering what you guys thought was the most essential effect that I should have outside of these 2 pedals. I play EVERYTHING. What effect do you think a bass player should never leave home without?

I was considering an envelope filter? I dunno. Help me out. I think this would also be helpful to other people with basic wah and distortion pedals that don't know what they need.

sorry if something lik this has been talked about before, but I searched and found nothing.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For me i think everyone needs some kinda of dirty /fuzzy/ OD pedal. An envelope filter is also a nice choice.

3. compression...i never leave my house w/o a good compressor...even when im playing w/o any effects, i STILL bring one of my compressors...i use the aphex punch factory, and an electro harmonix black finger, if i want some warmth and color, i bring the ehx, if i want something more transparent, i bring the aphex...and IMO, any overdrive/distortion/fuzz sounds better when u run compression before it

hows that crybaby from hell?...i was looking at one but never decided to try it...im quite satisfied w/ my 105Q's (im excited for the new EBS wah tho...) but im still curious about the one u have...

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Since you've got the wah (tone filter kinda effect) and a distortion, I'd say:

phaser

flanger

envelope filter

chorus

delay

Pretty much covers what I use!

5. This one...Its how i keep all my gigs...
    [​IMG]

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, that crazy Angelfire Jaco-B-Gone.

Love the description... obviously the guy who invented it didn't know much about Jaco. Didn't pop or slap. Hmmm... :eyebrow:

For me, it's definately chorus. My Peavey BAC-2. Usually subtle and a little swirly. Behind that is a Boss Flanger.

The is all out sonic hell distortion. :)

7. It's great, I love it! Great sound, with many different options. Also one of the smoothest rocking (like when you rock your foot back and forth) pedals I've ever played.

8. I would like to attach a poll to this thread, but.......I don't know how :help:

Anyone?

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    sansamp bddi/or another big overdrive
    distortion
    more overdrive
    more distortion
    some chorus, phase and flange

10. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    Damn Right!!!!!! (just got one the other day :D :D :D , the CryBaby From Hell that is....)

I have a volume and a Reverb (Boss RV-5). The volume is basically a "mute" switch at the moment, and the verb adds some nice space. I usually use the room mode with all the dials centered. Adds some nice "space" to you sound (though not the Pink Floyd kinda space :D ).

11. For me its eq's and preamps and i guess distortion.

12. I'm intrigued by compression, how useful are they?

If I'm not mistaken, they compress your signal and even out the volume? This doesn't sound like a very important effect (especially for the price)

I know they affect your tone somehow, but how? I'll go dig up the BP review of the EHX compressor.

13. you know, if it wasnt for the fact it mentioned the word groove on that thing, i woulda said a guitarist probably made that pic...

14. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    I would never do a gig without my:

Aphex Punch Factory
    Sadowsky preamp
    Boss EQ

I could leave my two overdrives at home, but I feel something is missing in some of our tracks then :)

15. The punch factory is a compressor, right?

I think I've lowered it down to:

Envelope filter
    Compressor
    Fuzz/Overdrive

Votes?

16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Tuner :D

but really.. Chorus... I use Chorus and Reverb all the time...

17. For bass I find I get great tone with compressor/delay/pigtronix. My pig has been modded with 2 extra expression pedal jacks so it runs as an envelope filter, wah and phaser. I find chorus muddies up a bit much for my taste. If I want to dirty up the sound I kick on the distortion side of my Morely.

18. I don't understand thew application of chorus for bass. It just "wiggles" the sound. A lot of people have said it, though. I'm curios as to when you use it.

19. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Chorus adds a nice sense of thickness and complexity to the straight bass sound.

Always been my favorite for bass, along with compression.