Most essential effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zacl, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm wokring on my rack, and was just wondering what everyone thinks are the most essential effects for a Bass rig?

I've been thinking about looking for an EQ, do you guys think that would be a good addition?

Anyway, any thoughts or suggestions, are greatly appreciated.

2. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    eq,compression,crossover. Not really effects, but they'll let you hone some tone
  3. for me the most essential are my overdrive and phaser, coz i use both of them pretty much 99 % of the time.. :)

but i guess a good compressor is very usefull for bassplayers too..
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    In a rack, aside from a good pre and power amp, compression is really useful. then whatever your ears want to hear really.
  5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    EQ, compressor, chorus, flanger, octaver, in that order, anything else comes behind that, except a BBE, which is essential to me.
  7. Well that's all nice and dandie, but you guys can not cut out the envelope controled filter can you? I can't think of any other effect that obsorbs and reproduces the feel and expression of a finger to a string like that. I'm a filter junkie no denying it... Only because envelope controled filters are very musical if applied correctly.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    As mentioned, compression isn't an effect at all. Other than that, I can't think of anything I would call essential to a rack, unless you play a particular style that demands one.

The only effects I can tolerate on bass are envelope filter and chorus, so maybe you shouldn't listen to what I say.

9. I use a compression pedal. A distortion pedal if i want to get real heavy.
  10. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    If you get a decent delay that goes down to like 5ms thats will give you all your delays, flange, chorus and phase.

Just a thought
  11. severed_1

Jun 4, 2002
    well,i have an Ibanez PD-7 Overdrive,and it has three settings,Clean(which brings out more tone when playing),Overdrive,and Distortion(a little different that Overdrive,in that it has the static sound to it)

I personally use Overdrive alot now,but i usually switch between Overdrive and Distortion

I use clean when i play more melodic tunes,like some slower songs

I use Overdrive when i play angry songs

And i use Distortion on faster songs

I guess it's all in your personal preference
  12. ablinow

Apr 15, 2000
    Norton, MA
    I can't believe you guys didn't mention a wah pedal, the 105Q Dunlop is great if your playing slap or funk music.