Most expedient way to upgrade rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LonghornBass, Aug 8, 2001.

1. I've had my current rig (peavey t-max combo and 410tx) for about 5 years now and I was thinking about upgrading my gear. What would be a better first buy: a new preamp or an upgraded 410 cab? I eventually want a separate preamp/poweramp setup but I don't know where to start. I was thinking about an acme b4 but they cost a pretty penny. What do ya'll think?
  2. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    What are you looking for? New sound , better sound, more volume,?
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i spent most of the past year doing the same thing.. i upgraded from my carvin setup (boo carvin speakers) I did it in this order: Speakers, preamp, poweramp. If you are fairly happy with your sound, i'd suggest going in this order. Im not sure if you can seperate your peavey preamp and poweramp. If so, then you can replace each piece by piece. If not, you might have a preamp sitting around until you can afford a poweramp, and that's no fun... either way... it was my experience that replacing my carvin 410 and 115 with an SWR-810 did the most for my sound, so i did that first... in short i suggest finding the weakest link in your signal chain, and replacing that, then repeat the process until you're broke and have an awesome rig.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You may want to take your T-Max head out of the 1-15 cabinet, then take it to some local music stores and audition some bass cabs with your amp. Check out a Peavey 410TVX (or maybe even a 210TVX). IMO, the TVX (or older TXF) models are a big improvement over the old TX models. Of course, you should try some cabs by other manufactureres as well.

Also, I highly recommend that you hold on to your T-Max! (At least the head). I own one, it's my main gigging amp, and I love it! :D

Good luck with the upgrade...
  5. I am currently upgrading my rig, and right now all I have is a preamp. I plug that into my Peavey TNT115 which has a mode to skip past the preamp. I am hoping to get a poweramp and speakers later this year. I am really looking forward to my future rig.