1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most "extreme" bass you've used for a gig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twinjet, Apr 18, 2017.

1. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Inspired by the bass-hating drummer thread.

It is agreed upon that a Fender, be it a Jazz or a Precision, can automatically score you the gig, whereas an outlier may get you turned down, regardless of skill.

What is the most "out there" bass you've gotten away with using for a gig?

2. CORBS

CORBS

Dec 28, 2010
    Never had a bass influence my being offered a gig, and I have never used Fenders or anything that look like them.

Kmonk, TolerancEJ and Herrick like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    An extremely cheap Steinberger copy made by a company named Bradley where I replaced the hideous stock pickups with DiMarzio Model J's. Almost wish I still had it because it sounded great, but I hated how the neck stuck way too far out for me to be comfy.

Nowadays the most out there bass I use is a Realistic violin bass from the late 60's (yes, THAT Realistic).

Spectrum, Rattman, Pyrat and 8 others like this.
  4. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    In 1983, I used a late 60s Vox Cougar hollowbody, played fingerstyle (the only way I knew how to play at the time) in a hardcore punk band. I got a couple snarky comments at the first practice about not using a pick, but it was never really an issue.

aah_scary, RSBBass, Herrick and 2 others like this.
  5. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Never had anyone fire me over what bass I used, or get turned down from a group I auditioned for with any comments on what bass I showed up with. I've had bandmates express preference for one bass over another, and they're usually conservative (i.e. they like how the P sounds). The most "extreme" or "out there" bass I've gigged with was my John Toon 5.
    14681733_10154321831323113_4059690404978048242_n.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  6. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    What's the opposite of "extreme"? Whatever that word is, my Steinberger L-2 has never been that.

I did once do a high profile gig for an MCA Records release party where they insisted the band mime/lip-sync to the album tracks. I made a fake bass out of cardboard and foamcore, strung with pink yarn, and played that in front of 2,000 coked-out record execs.

7. A Stingray. Yeah, I know! It's crazy! :p ;)

Quantized Harmonic, onosson and MTMB like this.
  8. I did country gigs with a 6 string bongo so...

9. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I played a five string Jackson Dave elefison sig model for a country gig and actually survived! I left the spandex at home though

10. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    I played my upright for a alt/Metal gig once...........just to see if I could pull it off.........it was a blast, ran a distortion pedal and everything...

11. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Back in the dark and distant days of only owning one bass, I had the active electronics on my jazz bass completely bug out on me on the night of a blues gig in an 'old man pub' (UK residents will know what I'm talking about). I was only 19, but the rest of the band each had a couple of decades on me... Man, I miss that gig - it was just touring the local circuit of quiet live music bars on odd weekday nights and Sunday afternoons, but I love playing blues bass and those guys were an absolute riot...

Anyway, this was about an hour before I was due to leave, so the only option available was to borrow my guitarist flatmate's cheap practice bass.

Thus the story of how I set up in the corner of a Glasgow pub full of auld boys in flat caps with a BC Rich Warlock. It was surprisingly well-received, all things considered, although I had to sit through a good fifteen minutes of being laughed at by the rest of the band after I unzipped the gig bag. I suggested we cover Slayer's Angel of Death in honor of the instrument, but we ultimately decided against it.

CaseyJ, wmmj, tzohn and 14 others like this.
  12. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Bass I made in high school wood shop. :D

MTMB, hrodbert696 and Mosstone like this.
  13. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    my band plays mostly country/roots-rock and I can't wait to surprise them at the next gig with my newly acquired Mockingbird in quilted red maple. :jawdrop:

14. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I was at a rehearsal of another band once and the bassist was off sick. As the guy only played root notes during the whole songs (seriously, he only ever played root notes!), I grabbed a lefty guitar that was missing a string and played with them for a while on an upside down strat. I even managed to get some fifths in :D

RSBBass and twinjet like this.
  15. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Pop/Synth band in the 80s. Man, there were a lot of slap parts (I'm not great at slapping, but I managed to pull it off).
    Strangely, the Washburn B-20 Stage kept up.
    Not a bass I'd associate with that music.

16. Mosstone

Mosstone

Jun 20, 2009
    Once, I had to borrow a bass for a big outdoor gig. For the life of me, I can't recall why, (this was the early '90s) but I remember it was an emergency.

It was a pointy Jackson bass with active electronics that belonged to the band's previous bassist, who was let go for not fitting in with their style of music. He was a metal-head (surprise!), but he was a nice guy. I don't think I would even show up at the gig of a band I got kicked out of, but he was actually super supportive.

twinjet likes this.
  17. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I've done things like that on purpose, just to mess with people.
    My favorite was a Dean Flying V bass. The secret is to pull it out of the bag with just enough time to tune before the first song. That way when the guitar player says "what the hell is that" you can just smile and say "I know, right?" and count off into a fast SRV tune. It shuts them right up.

Strung_Low, hrodbert696 and twinjet like this.
  18. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Most "extreme" bass you've used for a gig?

J bass. Normally only use P basses.
    :smug: :roflmao:

19. Slightly off topic, but not really: Played rhythm guitar in a really odd group about 25 years back, covering everything from 50's rock to new (at the time...) country. I generally used an Ibanez 335-type or my Gibson Victory MVX (set neck strat-type). Just for giggles occasionally I'd pull out my Kramer Striker 3000, which was a really pointy X-thingee with triple humbbuckers and a Floyd Rose. "Don't tell my WHOOMP by Achy Breaky WHOOMP!" Didn't have a B-Bender but the divebombs were hilarious.

Oh, and for bass? Did hundreds of country gigs, and some sessions, with a BC Rich Eagle. Not very radical, though.

lz4005 likes this.
  20. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    Mine was a Hohner Steinberger copy that I gigged for about a year while trying everything I could find in local shops before settling on a G&L L-2000. Only one pickup worked, the knobs were broken, but it sounded good and I played the poopie out of that bass!

JimmyM likes this.