most flexible type of cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Hey guys,
    I'm lately planning on getting a new rig (just like i have been for the last 6 months) and I'm thinking about going with a head and cabinet since no combos i have tried out have really blown me away (including the new aguilar 1x12 combo). so now that i know what setup i want, i'm trying to decide between a 15, a 4x10, or a 2x12. i have basically the most experience with 15's cuz my combo has one and i'm used to the woofyness of it's character. I've seen several 4x10s used by players, and each time they seem to bring out the best sound, being clear and punchy. 2x12's i really haven't seen, but players here seem to recommend them. offhand what's a really great cabinet selection that will be the most flexible over the most time?
  2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How much $$ are you looking to invest?

BTW, there are some 15" cabs that belie the woofy character of most others (for instance, Bag End S15-D or Bergantino HT115 or NV215 are pretty punchy).

Personally, I prefer the articulation/punchiness of 10"s.

Combining multi-10" with 15" or 12"(s) can give a versatile system.
  3. Lo-Freq is right on the money....How much are you going to spend???
    I have an Avatar 212 that keeps impressing me. It's inexpensive and it handles 1000 watts, and it's a little over $300.00, don't let the price fool you, it's loaded with Eminence speakers. I had an Epifani 410 but it was too heavy and didn't sound good at lower volumes, I sold it for about as much as I bought it for and bought the Avatar and pocketed about $700.00. If you have the $$ and you have a head that will work at the right impedence maybe the Epifani 310. What head or pre/power amp combo will you be running?
  4. i was thinking somewhere along the lines of avatar, which basically means 600 bux max.

as far as head, i was thinking of the peavey bam head for a while, or another peavey model; those things seem to survive pretty long, pumping out good tone
  5. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Most flexible type of cab?

Generally ones made with cheap, 1/2" plywood and no bracing.
  6. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    dont get the eden 210xst....mine doesnt flex much at all.....
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say a 3x10. It'd be a great balance between size and volume. If you needed bigger, you'd need way bigger, and you'd know it.

Epifani and Bergantino both make 3x10s, as well as Demeter and a few others I can't recall at the moment.

Of course, I'm the absolute wrong person to talk to about such things. My motto is go far, far to big; you can always turn a big rig down, but you can't turn a small rig up. For me flexible means having as many cabs that start with the prefixes 4x 8x and 6x as humanly possible.

That said, a couple Aguilar 1x12s seems to be popular as well.

Of course, that's between size and volume, if you're going for volume and size, a 6x10 would also work nicely.
  8. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Just get an Accugroove Whappo Jr. and call it a day!
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    True, they are nice cabs (by all reports, I've never tried them), but you could get several Berg, Epi, or EA cabs for the same price.
  10. well in the first response, i don't need 8 or 6 of anything at the moment, unless they're really tiny speakers. i don't need to break my back with something giant, which is why i was thinking along the lines of anything with 4 speakers in it (4x10) or under.
    second, i'm pretty sure that half those brand names will cost me more than 600 USD
  11. Schroeder?

Never played one but have heard wonderful things about them.
  12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    The Schroeder 1010 or 1210 or 1212 are about $689 delivered; 16" x 23" x 16" and 45 lbs or 47 lbs or 48 lbs.

Great cut-through tone, serious low end, very good midrange, and very smooth musical treble.
    Oh yeah; they can be played incredibly loud for their size (when appropriately powered).

I have a 410 and have heard all but the 1010 and the new 3101212 -- very impressive bass speaker systems.

If interested visit Jorg's website here.
    Feel free to contact him or one of the growing list of dealers (Jorg's a really cool, great guy).