Most Frets On A Bass??????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by floydbass, Feb 4, 2004.

1. (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum move if needed.)

So, what is the most frets that has ever been on a bass, i know many people's basses (JT) go up to 36, but has anybody ever done more? I ask this because i remember someone boasting how they were going to have a custom 48 fret conklin made for them.

So discuss
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hmm, I think I've seen fretless basses with 3+ octave necks, but they just kind of blend into the body, so you probably could get about 4 octaves worth of notes at least.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There was this Warwick Thumb in Bass Player a couple of years ago that the owner had converted to 1/3 octave intervals. IIRC, it had 48 frets.
  4. pics?
  5. ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    man andi tghought my 26 was alot :p
  6. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    A 48 fretted bass? That's just too much!
  7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I doubt anybody is going to go much farther than 36 on a fretted - it would be really difficult to fret a note with such a tiny fret space. But if fretless counts...

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry, I don't have a pic. Somebody posted it in Basses a couple of years ago.
  9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I guess counting the cats that play microtonal instruments (non-12 tone), my friend Paul Erlich plays a guitar that has 22 frets per octave, 44 frets (granted it is a guitar) on his Ibanez Universe neck, cross two octaves... He has another microtonal guitar with a some sort of odd frets per octave (i can't remember if it is a 19 fret per octave or 31). He does have a fretless bass with position markers for 12 tone, 22 tone and what ever that third one is that I can't remember(in three different color markings)...

...other than that I remember seeing this fretless... Looks like you could play all the way up to it's piezo bridge.