1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most Frets On A Bass??????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by floydbass, Feb 4, 2004.

1. (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum move if needed.)

So, what is the most frets that has ever been on a bass, i know many people's basses (JT) go up to 36, but has anybody ever done more? I ask this because i remember someone boasting how they were going to have a custom 48 fret conklin made for them.

So discuss

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hmm, I think I've seen fretless basses with 3+ octave necks, but they just kind of blend into the body, so you probably could get about 4 octaves worth of notes at least.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

There was this Warwick Thumb in Bass Player a couple of years ago that the owner had converted to 1/3 octave intervals. IIRC, it had 48 frets.

4. pics?

5. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    man andi tghought my 26 was alot :p

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    A 48 fretted bass? That's just too much!

7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I doubt anybody is going to go much farther than 36 on a fretted - it would be really difficult to fret a note with such a tiny fret space. But if fretless counts...

[​IMG]

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Sorry, I don't have a pic. Somebody posted it in Basses a couple of years ago.

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I guess counting the cats that play microtonal instruments (non-12 tone), my friend Paul Erlich plays a guitar that has 22 frets per octave, 44 frets (granted it is a guitar) on his Ibanez Universe neck, cross two octaves... He has another microtonal guitar with a some sort of odd frets per octave (i can't remember if it is a 19 fret per octave or 31). He does have a fretless bass with position markers for 12 tone, 22 tone and what ever that third one is that I can't remember(in three different color markings)...

[​IMG]

...other than that I remember seeing this fretless... Looks like you could play all the way up to it's piezo bridge.