Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Growly Edgy Strings You've Played

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jun 7, 2005.

1. I'm sure this has been posted a million times, but ever time I search under previous threads, its alway seems to go off topic and we still dont get peoples opinions.

So, in your opinion, what are the most growly, edgy strings on the market?

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  3. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    DR Low-riders.

4. +! on the DR's, and also MTD Steel roundwounds... very aggressive and growly.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  6. I've heard that these strings are pretty aggressive sounding

Labella Hard Rockin' Steels
    DeanMarkely's SR2000's
    Rotosounds (of course)

anyone second these, or have any other strings they want to voice?

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    SR2000s are great, but I think they're more "refined", "clear", and "bright", where the DR high beam is much more "growly", "raw", and "agressive".

If you get the SRs, try the Will Lee guage, they have a really balanced feel. They break easily due to the extreme "exposed core" construction.

8. I have to admire the loyalty that DR stirng users have for DR, but I've used plenty of Dr strings in my day (LowRider,HiBeam,Fatbeam) I just dont' find them aggressive or growly at all. I find them kind of dry and bright, and thats about it.

Any other thoughts on aggressive, growly strings? I hear MTD don't last at all (MTD String Threads)

9. My MTD strings last quite a long time. However, it seems to me that string life is impacted quite a bit by the type of bass and amp you use (i.e., what frequencies are emphasized, etc.), the PH of your sweat, the tone you are looking for, etc. I find some strings (like GHS Boomers) lose all their sheen and high end in one gig for me, whereas others say they last a long time. It's probably due partially to the fact that my rig, etc. might emphasize the specific frequencies that are lost most quickly with the Boomers.

Ok... that was a really long winded way of saying 'try the MTD's out and see if they last for you...' they are very aggressive sounding strings.

10. thanks! now you've got me interested. I think i'll get them rather soon!

thanks again!

11. Of what I've tried it's

Rotosounds
    DR Hi-beams and Fat-beams
    Blue Steels

12. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Rotosound Stainless Steels, fresh out of the pack. Most aggressive strings I've ever played. Nice strings overrall, as well IMO.

13. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Me too.

14. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Rotosound SM66 40-100

Slug

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Maxim Golds. Straight out of the pack they sounded like breaking glass. ONce they were broken in they had a wonderful sheen to them, but still had tons of edge. I miss those strings.

16. Well I just purchased the MTD's upon your recomendations. They are comming in, in a few days. We'll see.

Anyone else? The general feedback I'm seeing is either Roto's or MTD's.

any one else?

17. LaBella Hard Rockin' Steels. Maximum growl. I have them on a Reverend bass, which is pretty growly regardless, but the growl factor is moreso than it was before.