1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most hardcore metal vocalist.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yngwie 4String, May 30, 2007.

1. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    My vote goes to Slayers Tommy Aaraya. I was actually doing Skeletons of society on a karoake machine at a party, and this big chunk of blood shot out of my mouth. I think he has the most agressive hardcore voice. Like he could blow your head off with it.

2. Thought Slayer were thrash metal? Is that an outdated concept nowadays?? Do people include it all in hardcore?

I love Tom Araya's singing and playing. Especially Angel of Death, Dead Skin Mask and 213, but I like those songs for a lot of other reasons too, I've read books on Dr Gehring, Edward Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer so I'm probably biased :)

Since you said Slayer for this hardcore metal grouping, my choice has to be James Hetfield of Metallica I'm afraid. Post AJFA when he got lessons of course, but I reckon he could stand in for Tom just fine and sound just as good IMO.

3. rushfan73

rushfan73

Mar 9, 2007
    Manchester,MO
    Rob Halford, Phil Amselmo or Bruce Dickenson

4. Sarbecue Boss

Sarbecue Boss

Jul 9, 2006
    define hardcore
    like hardcore music hardcore, or intense and powerful hardcore

for me, its mikael akerfeldt or phil amselmo

5. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    The average human larynx isn't able to withstand that kind of abuse! With all those metal vocalists, I wonder how they'd hold up 4 1/2 hours a night, 5 nights a week, in a nightclub environment. Most of 'em, probably not too well.

6. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I wouldn't want to be the next guy singing at the party :bag:

7. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The singer from Coalesce (I forget his name)

8. I forgot about him!! I never cared for I can't even remember the band he was in and they were massive!

Googling is cheating won't do it :)

But he also did some stuff in a band called Fight and I loved the song "Into The Pit". Awesome song. Awesome vocals too!!

9. In matters of power-metal operatic stuff, Dickinson and Halford.

For death metal, it doesn't get any better for me than Necroticism-era Jeff Walker/Bill Steer vocal tradeoffs.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    For sheer ripping one's larynx out screams, I'd have to go with Carly Coma of Candiria. That guy sounds like he poured acid on his throat.

For sheer coolness factor, I'd have to go with Phil Anselmo. What a cool voice.

11. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Inactive

Jan 11, 2006
    Even though I don't listen to metal anymore (haven't for years), I still can think of some guys

Nergal from Behemoth, Lord Worm who used to be in Cryptopsy, Vehemence's vocalist, Decapitated's vocalist, Karl Sanders from Nile

Basically a lot of black metal and death metal vocalists, just no metalcore vocalists. The whole genre is crap, except the Between the Buried and Me and Glass Casket who have great players, but I can't stand the vocals.

12. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    the vocalist from Mayhem

13. Agreed, sir.

14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Phil Amselmo

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    In regards to the pure, "How can he do that" factor, I have to go with the guy from Converge. Add in the fact that Converge has been aroud since the early 90s and it's amazing anything comes out anymore.

Honorable mention goes to the guy from Botch. Not really guttural like the modern stuff, but still heavy screaming.

These two bands most be mentioned when talking about modern metal/metalcore. Converge and Botch kicked open the door for the majority of metal and whatever-core bands around today. The whole metalcore genre still hasn't topped what Botch was doing almost a decade ago on We Are The Romans.

16. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "hardcore".

For the brutal style, I've yet to hear anyone more guttural than Phlegeton from Wormed, and quite frankly I don't want to. I don't know how much of that is some kind of effect, but it's pretty amazing nonetheless.

As far as a vocalist who just sounds really pissed off, I'd say Matti Kärki of Dismember. Sort of a mid-range half growl half yell thing, not unlike John Tardy from Obituary, come to think of it.

17. Most metal vocalist ever = RONNIE EFFING JAMES DIO \M/!

18. Anybody heard Stevo from Impetigo? now THAT's hardcore if there ever was one!

19. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Inactive

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    Yeah I mean like intense, hardcore like Chuck Norris is hardcore. It was a party of me and my metal head friends. I didnt do it like in a bar. I would though...

If your looking for Range and vocal quality then Id say Tarja Turunen of Nightwish can sing circles around anyone else in metal Ive heard. For male vocalist the guy from Manowar is pretty impressive.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021