1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most iconic hard rock/metal amp & speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agedhorse, Feb 28, 2019.

1. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Just did a little digging, and it's a different touring bassist apparently (Shane Wesley). Their original bass player (Todd Strange) has apparently retired from touring.

2. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Oh yeah I couldn’t hear Todd at all.

3. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
  4. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    I was gonna say, I really don't have much experience with the modern stuff out there and though not 'rock' if you look on the stage of the Grand OL Opry, the house rig is an SVT on one large cabinet, kicked back...

agedhorse and GonePlaid like this.
  5. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Two new thoughts:

1) as for literal icons, that pointy Peavey logo is one of the reasons I play music. I remember seeing that logo and those blue knobs when I was out one night with my dad as a kindergartener (hey, it was Wisconsin and it was the 1980s, haha). I remember stage lights, and doing somersaults on the dance floor, and the singer having people give it up for "Joe" (my dad must have known the guy and put in a word or something). I drew a picture and wrote the story and told the story in front of my kindergarten class; I felt so awesome. It remains one of the best nights of my life. (That logo and those blue knobs really stuck with me; I got a 400BH in high school and liked it just fine but had an itch to get something more "pro" and traded it away for who knows what; I have a nearly identical model on the way to me right now in an effort to correct that historical error, haha.) Oddly enough, I don't remember the music so much from that night; I remember that night mostly in images, and that logo and those blue knobs really stood out for me. When it comes to designing an iconic amplifier, I think looks can go a surprisingly long way and shouldn't be overlooked as part of an iconic package.

2) as for blazing a different trail rather than out-SVT-ing Ampeg or out-800RB-ing GK, a number of rock and metal bassists (including Jeff Matz from High on Fire, my benchmark for tone these days) use both guitar and bass heads to get their sound. Some existing giant tubey beast heads (Verellen Meatsmoke comes to mind) work about equally well for guitar or bass, but that's something else; I don't know of anybody making a single package that gets those bold tones that come from combining a guitar head and a bass head. Maybe there's something there.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  6. leerod054

leerod054

Sep 28, 2018
    Texas
    Love the cab...HATE THOSE STAIRS...LOL

DJ Bebop and GonePlaid like this.
  7. subzer0

subzer0

May 1, 2014
    It seems logical that the iconic bassists used gear that would influence the players who came after them because those icons had a sound that made them stand out to those they influenced.

Steve Harris appeared to be using a Peavey Mark IV Bass head, when I was able to get one; I did...I'd guess others did too.

I'd imagine this occurs still to this day but I'd say the these masters created voices that influenced later players who sought to carve voices using those tools:

Cliff Burton

Geezer Butler

Geddy Lee

Lemmy Kilmister

Flea

Used amps and cabs that became the gear and brands which became iconic simply because the artists used them. Sorry I don't know the actual gear each artist used and I'm sure those names changed over time. I think if you consider any bass icon, the gear they used by default also becomes iconic.

Dave Neal likes this.
  8. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

I just scored myself a Mark IV with the blue knobs, but mostly because I had one in high school and regretted trading it away, haha. I can't even remember, but I think I got a GK 800RB (which has come up a lot in this thread), which I liked well enough but managed to blow up by plugging into a wah backward, haha/groan. My buddy got it fixed up and used it as his backup for years. Oh, well.

9. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    For what it’s worth: the perspective of a guitar player who has been dabbling in bass for a few years. I generally like to get the “iconic” guitar and bass gear, that way I know that if it was good enough for countless pros, studios, and weekend warriors, it had better be good enough for me.

So when I was searching for what bass amp I should focus on, the three that I kept seeing: B15, SVT, 800rb.

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  10. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    I could be wrong, but I believe it was Roger Glover not Glenn Hughes that favored the Marshall Majors & 15’s. At least I’ve seen photos of Roger using those. Glenn was partial to Laney amps and in early days used folded horn cabs with 18’s. If you see his Cal Jam concert footage which was his 1st major debut w/Purple, that’s what he was using although it didn’t show what heads he had.

11. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    This doesn’t fall into any specific brand, but the folded horn cabs with mostly 18’s and some 15’s were immensely popular made by Fender, Acoustic, Traynor, SUNN, Peavey, and I’m not sure, but I think even Ampeg might have had one along with many custom built ones. Having used a couple myself back in the day, they could get very loud and of course their projection out towards back of rooms was second to none. That’s why they were outdoor concert fav’s.

12. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    You know, I think you may have something there about the Kustom’s. Although I disagree with you about time era. I think they were at there height in 60’s and early 70’s from what I saw. They were immensely popular in rural areas and towns probably because they weren’t terribly expensive at least for their entry level rigs, although you could get into some pretty elaborate more expensive cabs with the horns and 3 or even 4-15’s in one cab. I never seen brand that had so many different combos of 10’s, 12’s, 15’s, horns & other drivers available. Plus they had guitar, bass, keyboard, and PA offerings as well. I played through a couple bass rigs back in 60’s that were backlines, but never owned one. They weren’t great, but not too bad. And your right—they were used in all genre’s.

13. Svt + SVT810
    400 + PH412
    Bassman + anything

That's all I can think of as notably iconic. For you at Mesa, it's your 400 and a PowerHouse 412. To me and (I'd say) countless others, that is the Mesa rig.

Ampeg, of course, is the SVT and 810

Fender has always been the bassman + anything you got. I can't think of anyone that iconically mentions a cab that matches perfectly with the fender bassman. I think most people push an SVT810 with it, or really anything.

Also, a whole lot of people choose the 810, and a Tech 21, Darkglass, or Tonehammer nowadays. But, no matter the amp, I think the SVT810 is the #1 most iconic cabinet. Personally though, I far prefer the 412. But, that's me. I have my own ears, eyes, views, and opinions.

14. five7

five7 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Denver
    I am really liking the genz benz contour amp with one or two swr goliath III cabs. Clean and punchy with tight lows. Some dirt from alpha omega and a keeley bassist and hpf dialed in makes me happy camper.

TrueNorthMatt likes this.
  15. NorseBear0903

NorseBear0903 Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2018
    This is so good. I literally played a venue with this exact scenario in Phoenix. I just slid the cab down on the rails and the guitar player caught the tub on the other side. thanks for making my day!

16. Mike Romanowski

Mike Romanowski

Apr 20, 2015
    Better yet—the step up from that, Sunn 2000S with #2– 215 cab’s or even the 18” folded horn incorporated into it!!

17. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    I grew up with the nu-metal and nu-rock crowds. Back then it was either Ashdown or Eden.

Ashdown had straight ahead rock people like Chavo from SOAD, Biffy Clyro, hell even Nate from the Foo Fighters if you class them as 'hard rock'.

Eden boasted more of the nu metal crowd. I remember seeing A, Incubus, POD, HIM and Limp Bizkit and others all with Eden stacks.

ObsessiveArcher and BOOG like this.
  18. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    Just to give it some love. The og SWR before they sold out to Fender. I remember the ads with Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse and Godsmack's Robbie Merrill. Both playing Spector basses. Dark horse brand and definitely not seen these days especially when you have Ampeg, GK, Trace, Aguilar, Ashdown really being the best sellers lately and Fender completely discontinuing SWR doesn't help.