1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most important aspect of a bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by baddarryl, Mar 17, 2013.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    As a twist on the bass thread it made me think of this. What is the one common denominator that everyone needs in a bassist? For me I guess it is timing.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Groove...it's related to timing but a bit different.

3. Being a bassist as opposed to a bass player in most band settings

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    to flow like water is my main concern. i am also obsessed with subtle nuances when tone, volume, and touch are evaluated. if a bass player has that Swag,.. i make it a point to congratulate that person!

IMO,.. there are players that have it and know it. then there are those that are seaching for it and know what it is. then others who don't have a clue and may never.
    stay humble no matter how great you think you are, just because...

5. It depends. Death metal bassists don't really need groove, in the traditional sense of the word. For me, you have to know what style you're playing, and play it how it should be played. :)

6. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Sex Appeal

7. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Marys, Ohio
    Hands.

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

Sep 3, 2011
    IMHO its rhythm in the pocket. I think being called 'solid' is the ultimate compliment.

9. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Timing here too

10. A properly tuned instrument, followed by groove, timing, pocket, whatever you want to call that ineffable quality of partnering with a drummer to propel the music (in any genre) rhythmically forward. After that, a codpiece.

11. timing, groove are essential, yes. but i think the most important part of being a bass player is to give life to the music. to drive the tune and hold the band together. both rhythmically and harmonically.

12. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Our job is twofold, and to denigrate one in favor of the other is wrong. We need to connect the rhythmic aspect of the music with the harmonic/ melodic aspect AND define the harmony. Putting both together is how we create flow and push the music.

Groove is only part of the job.

John

13. Arod1213

Arod1213

Feb 24, 2013
    GROOVE

14. PlaysAJunker

PlaysAJunker

Feb 21, 2013
    Ownership of bass, bass amp.

Guy who shows up 95% of the time . . Thanks, Woody Allen.

Player that syncs with and compliments the drummer's output. Because if the bass and drums are together it's a pretty good band.

15. All of those things are very important, but insignificant compaired to you have to be able to make the cool BASS FACE!!
    Similar to the drummer face but obviously cooler.

Timing is also very important with this, for example, when you slide from G to the higher octave on the same string, classic bass face time.

16. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I like a lot of what's above

patience/ awareness- do you have the maturity vision and discipline required to truly harness the power and responsibility of low notes

17. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

Nailing the root on the one. Everything else is optional.

18. Roaddog77

Roaddog77

Nov 11, 2011
    Timing!

19. hailet

hailet

Sep 16, 2012
    Mount Prospect,IL
    Not only to be there on the beat but to fill in the melodic spaces that guitars leave out. We don't play melodies we fill in where melodies leave off. We make music.

20. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    99 time out of a 100, it's groove. The other time, it's making those idiots sound like they're in the same room.