Most important bass concept.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Sep 7, 2001.

1. More questions! This is not a flood, I just have a lot of questions stored up.

For me, the most important bass/guitar concept I ever learned was how to shift properly. Before I figured out that you *SLID* your fingers into the note, I let go of the string entirely, and then mashed the finger back down where it was supposed to go (more or less). To sound any good I had to stay in one position. Ever since I found out how to shift smoothly, bass and guitar have MADE SENSE.

So what is your most important concept?

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    That playing cleanly and in time are more important than complex chops and licks.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    That nothing is hard. its all in the head. you pick up a song, its just notes, in a a time. and thats all it takes. time. now, coming up with your own stuff is completly diffrent, THATS what makes bass chalnging, writing your OWN master peice, or just a line your proud of. Not playing someone else's. although there is nothing wrong with it. learning the songs of others helps your advancment TO making your songs. it also opens the mind to new ways of looking at the insturment.
  4. I agree with what Pollybass says completely.

Oh, btw, how do you slide your notes without the slide being amplified? I just use a different finger for every note.
  5. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Took me 4-5 years to learn that. It is the most important part about bass playing - when to play, when not to, and doing it with clean technique and in good time.
  6. Most important concept?

I'd like to say learning basic theory helped me out a great deal, but i don't know if that counts here.

uummm.... i'd say just learning what sounds good in a song and when to play and learning when not to play. I'd rather not play anything than play like crap on something i don't know.

But that's just me...
  7. You just slide up to the next note, and just as your finger gets to the right fret, you pluck the string. Try experimenting with the amount of pressure you put on the string as you slide.

I use a bass sound that has very little treble, so the slides aren't very audible.

What I discovered is that you can also do this with chord shapes that change depending on scale degree. Say, thirds.

To play that, I used to let go of the string and move my fingers into the new shape, then press down. Now I just slide into the shape and put down one finger, and the sound is continuous. It takes a bit of practice to get right, and your fingers have gotta be tough.
  8. That you're part of the rhythm section. No amount of flashy playing will rescue you or your band if you can't keep your music 'moving'.