Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Important pedals for a band situation?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bass_Machine, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Bass_Machine

Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    UK
    Ok, so I was looking for some pedals to add something to my tone,add some variety and mebbe beef it up a little in my band. I am not amazingly rich, so I'm looking for resonably-priced pedals, and probably two at maximum. What would you guys say are the most important two pedals to have in a band situation? I We play everything from modern stuff like Radiohead, RHCP, Coldplay and Incubus to the Police, the Beatles and classic artists. already have a digitech bass synth wah, so I have autowah and synthy-type sounds covered.
    I was definitely thinking about getting an overdrive of some sort,so I could go from a subtle crunch to a full on Dirty sound for heavier parts. I was wondering what else might be quite good to add another little flavour to my tone? perhaps a chorus? Any help for a guy who's a little overwhelmed by the realms of effects?

Thanks, Hector

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    In a band situation I find I use few or no effects. I'll use chorus in exposed parts like intros and the occasional bare-bones guitar solo. I find myself using distortion in a three piece playing role of pseudo-rhythm guitar, but in a four piece I usually play clean. The more people you're playing with, the more likely you are to step on someone's does with effects.

However, you sound like you want versatility, and I think a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde is for you, the newer red one with bass boost. You can stomp one switch for a mild grit, the other for all out distortion, and stomp both to make Satan himself come out of your amp.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Making Satan come out of the amp trumps all known pyro effects.

4. One pedal you must own is the Aphex bass exciter. It is brilliant, it makes ANY rig sound full and fat. For your dirt needs, possibly a dod 250 as they are highly recommended and maybe an EHX double muff for more filth or you may prefer a big muff. just remember to try before you buy..........

5. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    For tone, you should check out the BBE Sonic Stomp - $100. I checked one out at lunch today with a Geddy Jazz and a GK 700RB. When its on, it's like taking a beach towel off the front of your speakers that you didn't realize was there. I'm adding one to my list. For pedal two, I highly recommend a Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. Mine never ceases to amaze me.

Every once in a while when I'm playing - I'll just bypass the Xciter, kick it back in, giggle like a schoolboy, and continue-on with business.

I recently posted in another thread that if I could bring only ONE pedal, then if it were plugging into a nice, big pro rig, I'd bring the CS-3 compressor; else it'd be the Xciter.

Joe