most important thing you've learned?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rexspangle, May 11, 2001.

1. this may sound very vague but I was just wondering the most important piece of information you have ever learned on this forum? every now and then I will hear something and be like hey I never knew that but it sure makes sense.

you know maybe tihs could be like a hall of fame or something. or not :)

see ya
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    There's always somebody with more experience than me, and always someone with less.

There's always somebody with more talent than me, and always someone with less.

There's always somebody with better gear than me, and always someone with worse.

I have something to learn from everyone.
  3. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Perfect !
    I'll second that a 100% !
  4. Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    The most important thing I learned is that there are no limits. The combinations are endless ..

Other stuff like listening to all kinds of diffrent music and techniques too is really good

5. Most people I know will testify that I've learned way too much from you people, because they learn it second hand, because I never shut up about bass. I still need to learn more though.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I've learned that there are thousands of ways to do everything, things I thought I had down cold. I've learned everything from different chord voicings to what material is the most popular for a zero fret. Talkbass is cool.
  7. anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    I think that the most important thing I've learned here is to never stop learning. There's always something new to be taken in. The day you close yourself off to new ideas, new concepts, new anything, is the day you've lost your way.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hold hands when crossing the street. and be nice to each other. and have cookies and milk and a nap around 2-3 pm.

all the important things i needed to know i learned in kindergarten. :D

oh, wait, you said on this forum. bout "4 strings were enough for jaco" ;) :D
  9. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If I could do this, everyday, for the rest of my life, I will have lived a WONDERFUL life. God, there's nothing like a 2-3 nap! Pure bliss.
  10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I tend to hit sleepy time at about 3:30 every afternoon. If I could get a 3:15 to 4:30 every day, I'd be king of the world :D
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That I do not care how many strings Jaco needed.
  12. gonzo85

Mar 25, 2001
    It was a joke, the dude plays an 8 string.
  13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I didn't learn it here, but this forum has confirmed it many times over: The world was put here solely for my amusement.
  14. No Munji lets alter that slightly:

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Amen, Jazzbo.....AMEN!!!
  16. Never pee on an electric fence.

Oct 3, 2000
    The most important thing I have learnt is that the bass is an endless quest of knowledge, someone will always be able to do somthing just that little bit better and you can learn from them. Also I learnt that BASS RULES
  18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Munji...that's just what I let you think, seeing as the world is really here for MY amusement! ;)

On a serious note, not that I learned it here - but - the most important thing for us as bassists to do is keep 'em movin' on the dance floor. How fast you can play, your cool note choices, hip rhythmic ideas, the number of strings you need - or don't need, how big your amp, how many and what size of speakers....all that means nothing if you ain't got 'em on the floor shakin' dey @$$.

Add to that what jazzbo said, cuz it's TRUTH.