Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

most inappropriate bass sesh!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by maverick, Mar 16, 2005.

1. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    for a living i'm a paramedic and a few years ago on a night shift me and my partner got called to a 40 something woman in a diabetic coma at around 4am. we arrived and her husband was in a bit of a flap. we assessed the situation and knew just what to do. the patient needed an injection of glucose and she would recover quickly, but would still require food. we sent the lady's husband off to the kitchen while we gave her the shot. as she started to come round i said to my partner, he's taking his time i'll go look for him. as i wandered through the dining room and towards the kitchen, i saw this guys mini studio. sitting against the amps was a guitar and a very nice yamaha bass. the husband now was just walking out of the kitchen with a sandwich and a cup of tea. nice bass i said. thanks he replies, do you play? a little i said, and he said well pick it up and see how it feels. i couldn't resist. i picked the bass up and started running through a couple of rifts. you do play then! he said, he then picks his guitar up, switches on the amps and before we knew it we were jamming the blues. a short while later my partner pokes his head round the door....... any chance in getting that food.... shes awake!

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's funny- as long as the patient was taken care of!

3. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    yes she was fine!!.. a little pi$$ed off at the old man though!!!

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    :bag:

5. Classic! Jamming before sunrise while your patient wakes up from her diabetic coma...

6. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I'm sorry, I just dont buy this. Good story though.

Mike

7. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    don't have to buy it dude just enjoy it. remember though,fact is often stranger than fiction!

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    If any paramedic I knew pulled this, I would have his license yanked pronto. But, it makes for a good chuckle i guess. :eyebrow:

Mike

9. It woulda been funnier (and surely more believable :scowl: ) if the bass in question was an Iceman, Maverick

;)

10. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    i get ya man he he he :D

11. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I think thats an awesome story and I believe it happened its not that far fetched. and I deffinately wouldnt have had your license yanked thats stupid

12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Silly Goose. :D

13. PERFECT! :D

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    DIABETIC EMERGENCIES/HYPOGLYCEMIA

GUIDELINES FOR CARE

Assure ABCs.
    Oxygen via non-rebreather mask.
    Initiate IV lactated Ringer's TKO and draw tube of blood.
    Attach cardiac monitor and pulse oximeter.
    Determine serum glucose level with Glucometer or DextroStix.
    If glucose < 80 mg/dl, administer 25 gms 50% dextrose IV.
    If glucose > 80 mg/dl and < 250 mg/dl, go to step #6.
    If glucose > 250 mg/dl, go to Hyperglycemia Protocol.
    If unable to establish IV, give Glucagon 1 mg IM.
    Transport.
    Repeat glucose determination in 5 minutes:
    If glucose remains < 80 mg/dl, and no significant change in mental status, administer a second 25 gms 50% dextrose IV.
    Provide supportive measures.
    Contact medical control for any questions or problems.
    Label the pre-treatment blood vial and provide it to the receiving hospital with the patient.

This is our protocol, what is the standard in the UK?

Mike

15. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    pretty much the same only it's in a different order. we start with the 1mg IM glucagon and repeat the dosage after 10 mins. if there is no change then we establish IV access and administer 10% glucose IV (500mls) we do not take pre treatment bloods in any circumstances in the UK. we do not take all hypoglycemic emergencys into hospital. if fact about 90% of them are treated in the home. (as was in this case) a factor which also dictates our protocols in the uk, and particularly in london, is we are usually no more than 5 mins away from casualty (ER)

and just for the record, my partner was with the patient the whole time!

yee ha... jesters dead!!

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    A Snickers bar and a quick jam session?

17. maverick

maverick

Mar 8, 2005
    London England
    now thats funny!! :D

18. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    That's funny!

There is a huge difference in hypoglycemic events and a diabetic coma. But thats just me I guess.

Jester is not dead, he just went home.

Mike

19. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    Never seen a diabetic coma, but when my girlfriend has a hypoglicema attack I get pretty freaked out, much too freaked out to play bass...