Most Innovative Bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skull, Nov 11, 2000.

1. Skull

Nov 10, 2000
    A few years back Guitar magazine did a article on the the "Top 50 Albums That Changed Rock Guitar" They broke it down into 2 catagories of 25. The 1st catagory had guitarists they thought just totally revolutionary in their opinion- Hendrix, Clapton, Page, Iommi, Van Halen, etc. The 2nd were those they thought who were not as inventive, but still pretty important Navarro, Rhoads, Cobain, etc.

The cool thing was they:
    ¶ Rated the guitarists in chronological order vs. so and so is #1 because... (so they began with Hendrixs' "Are You Experianced"-1967 and went all the way to Steve Vais' "Passion and Warfare"-1990)- The issue came out in '96 btw.
    ¶ Said WHY[/b} they picked that guitarist (ex. they picked Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath and said, "Wrote the blueprint for heavy metal guitar playing)
    ¶ Gave an example of what album defined that players playing (like with Iommi[Black Sabbath] "Paranoid")
    ¶ And wrote a liitle summary for each guitarist (ex. with Iommi they wrote, "In the grand scheme of things, this album was the definitive heavy-metal guitar prototype: dirge-like riffs, simple 5th and 3rd chords which rarely strayed from the bottom strings, all entwined in plodding minor keys.")

Now sure my post was Most innovative bassists and the magazine was only talking about rock guitarists (altho they did mention John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola, and others), but who do YOU think are the most innovative bassists ever- rock music or otherwise? Extra bonus points if you followed the format of the magazine (chronological order, why you picked that bassist vs. just giving a name, and maybe a little suammry too.) I know it's alot of writing to ask, but what better way to show off your bassist knowledge! :) Thanks!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Number one would have to be James Jamerson.
  3. scott lafaro-because he gave the upright speed
    charles mingus-because he had attitude and it came out in his playing
    james jamerson-because people hired him because he was jamerson ie. here are the chords do what you want
    greg lake-points for coming up with lines that fit perfect denis dunaway-stole the guitar players lines and filled up the room they left
    to emersons frenzy
    tony levin-just sweet
    mick karn-demented yet melodic
    i guess i will stop before i break out my cd's and post a 5 pager
  4. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Mingus - Mingus is the Man-gus.

Jamerson - Motown. 'Nuff said.

Jaco - Talk about a cat who could be ON FIRE. Supreme groove plus killer solos. What more could you want?
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    The three J's:

James Jamerson:
    Jimmy Blanton:

Will C.:cool:
  6. furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Actually, that's four Js and a B.

James, Jimmy, Jaco.

The Three Js. Hmm... is that anything like the Three Tenors?
  7. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    1. mingus- he wrote the blueprint for all bass playing to come- defining album- black saint and sinner lady: it's tough to pick jsut one but this was an early record that showed some of his best compositional skills
    2. paul chambers- laid down the groove beside miles and trane, and that takes balls- defining album: coltrane- giant steps- chambers was already well defined at this point, but had a lot more liberty to do his own thing on this one
    3. jamerson- he almost invented the term groove defining album: marvin gaye- let's get it on: marvin's best, and i've always felt his best playing was with marvin
    4. jaco- no comment neccessary- defining album: a tie between jaco and the birthday concert, with an honorable mention for the joni mitchell live video
    5. stu hamm- as far as the modern era this guy totally redfines bass in both a technical and artistic manner defining album- radio free albemuth: showed the groundwork fro all his later stuff

now do i get those extra points
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd put Michael Manring and Anthony Jackson in there somewhere. Thank Anthony for your extra strings. Larry Graham should get props for the whole slap thing, and Mark King deserves a mention for getting the left hand in there. Victor gets in just for being Victor. Last but not least, Derek Smalls, for "Jazz Odyssey."
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Odd as it may seem, I'd nominate John Lennon. It's a little known fact that he composed and played the bassline on "Taxman." That song completely turned my head around about the function of bass. It WAS the song.
  10. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Jaco-No explanation needed.
    Jamerson-the King of groove
    Jack Bruce-Brought the bass up front
    John Entwistle-IMO the definitive rock bassist.

And last but not least, as a blues fan I have to mention Duck Dunn.

:D Mike