Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Innovative Luthiers / Makers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by therealting, Dec 16, 2004.

1. It has often been observed that guitarists are a lot more conservative in their instrument tastes, most opting for variations on the Strat / Les Paul / possibly PRS themes.

Bassists however, tend to be more willing to venture into less traditional waters, with more contemporary, innovative, technologically-driven ideas in addition to tips of the hat to vintage basses.

Who do you consider the most innovative luthiers / makers out there, pushing the envelope constantly with new ideas and making basses even better instruments?

2. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California

Bassists are very conservative too, don't let the smooth taste fool ya! Most would rather buy a parts built J Bass copy with a name on it than take the risk on anything revolutionary. When it come to those really pushing the bounderies their will be some of those that take the chance and reap the rewards but there are very few. Amongst those whoam I feel are innovative and deserve props are:

Jerry Auerswald (Auerswald)
    Heiko Hopflinger (Basslab)
    N. Hayashi (Atlansia)
    Jens Ritter (Ritter)
    Ulrich Teuffel (Teuffel)
    Claudio Pagelli (Pagelli)
    Christoph Leduc (Leduc)
    :hyper: :bassist:

3. ummmm...I don't know...I think you find both conservatives and adventurers in both camps.

There are many innovative guitarists out there who operate some interesting axes: Alan Holdsworth, Pat Metheny, Steve Vai, (the dude from Cheap Trick whose name escapes me).

As far as innovative luthiers for bass, one name stands above the rest....STEVE WISHNEVSKY!!! :bag:

ohhhh...that's right...you said "innovative", not "delusional"...my bad...sorry

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Ron Wickersham and Rick Turner. Practically invented hi-fi in basses.

Ned Steinberger. Advanced use of composites, headless design, unlike anything else at the time.

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Interesting. I was gonna name 3 that are already in your list.
    BTW, I´ve just realized that most of them are from Europe.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    http://www.dammannbasses.com

How about Damman Basses? I really dig the whole ergonomic concept. And while some folks think the basses are ugly, I think they're cool looking.

7. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    I think that the concept is damned cool.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Gotta give props to Bill!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I think Mike Tobias gets a nod as well.

Others (than the ones already mentiones) would be Geoff Gould and Modulus, the guys at Status and a huge nod to Skip at Knuckle.

10. Bill Conklin, definitely. The guys at Knuckle, Pagelli, and Basslabs, as well as Jens Ritter deserve a mention.

11. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    Carl Thompson and Bill Conklin

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Agreed, but man is that picture dying for a new capition:
    [​IMG]
    "So John, now the bass is all done, can I talk to you about hair care? I take it you use a two in one shampoo and conditioner?"

13. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    For straight up inovation Ned Steinberger is tough to stand up to. He's made a huge impression on the bass world with his ideas. For artistically putting good ideas to work Steve Klein is the best I've seen.

A bass builder that I am really impressed with as far as taking basses apart and doing his best to re-work or select the best option possible for every piece of it is Sheldon Dingwall. I've been really stoked on his line for a long time. Personally I'm not interested in fanned frets but you can tell he has gone over every aspect of his instruments and thought out all of the options.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ken Smith (TB's own ;) ) was very innovative.

I think its hard to say who the innovators are without really considering what you mean by innnovative. There are a lot of guys out there building stuff that is "different", whether it be in style or form, but a lot of it appears to be different for different's sake.

There are people / companies that really did push the envelope - ie Alembic in terms of being pivotal in changing modern bass. Then there are others whose designs while different and innovative, are really just an extention of whats already going on (IMO) ie Ritter (thats not to say I wouldnt give my right nut for a Ritter! :D ).

15. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! THAT was funny! :D

16. not sure who started up alembic but definitely them. they had the first piccolo and innovated alot in their time and continue to today

17. We already said the guys over at Alembic...and someone mentioned Carl Thompson...I think Jen's Ritter is going to really make it big...We can't forget Vinny Fodera and Joey Lauricella...and Mike Tobias...I think my favorite new luthier is Jake Marchlewski, and I looooove those Browne basses, they're just the cats pajamas lol :D
    (Im gonna try and bring that term back...help me out guys!!)

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If it wasn't for Leo Fender, who know's where BG's would be, if they'd exist today at all!