Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most Laughs You've Had On A Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by The Owl, Oct 27, 2005.

1. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Here you go, a chance to post your stories of gigs where you just laughed uncontrollably for one reason or another.

Though this was ages ago, I STILL remember doing a Halloween party gig in a cover band, and getting many surprised looks and afew laughs from the audience when we launched into a rendition of "Stealing Peoples Mail" by the Dead Kennedys.

Turns out one of the audience actually worked for the Postal Service :D

2. calshands

calshands

Feb 11, 2004
    How about this? Last Friday night my acoustic band played our first time at an open-mic. We play primarily old crap (Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Hendrix, etc.) and so the crowd was... lukewarm.

We were the only band that showed that night, so our planned/rehearsed songs were about 5 shy of what the organizers wanted to hear from us; cool! We can swing a few off the cuff.

The funny part came as our friends left the room -- heck, it was almost midnight: might turn into a pumpkin, or something! -- and I looked up to see that there were exactly 4 drunks, 2 waitresses, and 2 girlfriend/wives left in the place. I turned to the rest of the band and said, "Well THIS band knows how to clear a room!" then proceeded to laugh so hard I almost couldn't complete the song.

3. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i was teching for a band and got shocked so bad it sent me through the back wall of the stage. long story. the whole thing is on tape though. the lead guitarist said after the song" where did dave go?" the drummer was in shock as he saw me fly past him and the bassist said, "well friends, we're gonna take a little pause for the cause and see if our roadie is still alive. if he is we'll be back in 30, if not we'll be back sooner" whole thing is on tape. i still laugh at this every time i hear it. i had to kill the sound guy as nothing in the club was properly grounded which is why........ it took me a few days to feel ok but i thought it was funny.

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I just played a background dinner jazz gig last night. We ended our last set with the "Cheers theme" as a bossa nova. The entire restaurant started laughing. The show before that my guitar player did a swing version of "I believe in a thing called Love" as a duo with a singer. That got some laughs as well..

5. Please, for the love all that is good, post that video :)

- Andrew

6. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    +1,000 :D

7. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    sorry guys audio only. we werent video taping.

8. This past weekend, on Saturday night, even though I wasn't playing bass (I mainly sing and play keyboards in my R&B band), we played at a farewell party for one of my friends who is moving to Texas. To honor him, my band played one of his favorite songs he sings at Karaoke -- Clarence Carter's "Strokin" -- and had him come up and sing lead. I played the keyboard parts and sang backup.

The part in the song that goes, "Clarence Carter! Clarence Carter! Clarence Carter! Ooooooh SH*T! Clarence Carter!" He substitutes Clarence Carter's name with his own and I just start cracking up uncontrollably to the point where I my playing is temporarily impaired.

9. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    When one of my bands finished playing "My Name is Mud," I just looked at the crowd's facial expressions and they were like "What the **** were we just put through?"

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Read the "farting during a show" thread for my story.

11. biskit

biskit

Nov 7, 2005
    Funniest thing I did at a gig, we were playing our set and it was almost the last song, "Brown eyed Girl" (for my sins, I know), and the line that says "..do you remember when?"

it just came to me

I sang out "...you last had a wash!"

We were on......the.......floor..... I tell you

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Oh Man..too many to mention but here's a snippet.

A lead singer announcing that the previous number was a track by Simon and CARABUNKLE!!! (he was very drunk at the time)

The same guy singing (at a wedding gig) the Chris De Burgh tune "lonely skies" only instead of singing "The cold North wind they call "La Bise is swirling round about my knees"..he sang "MY UNDERPANTS THEY CALL LA BISE...etc.etc...

Same guy changed the lyrics to Elvis's "teddy bear"..to..."pubic hair".

The lead singer with a band I was depping with taking out his penis and waving it at the guitarist during the guitar solo on ACDC's "shook me all night long"...the look on the guitarists face was priceless..plus I nearly dropped my bass with the shock.

etc

etc

:D

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The most I ever laughed on a gig was backing the New Orleans singer/pianist Frankie Ford ("Sea Cruise") for the first time. The guy is like a cross between Liberace, Little Richard, and Rodney Dangerfield. It's just rapid-fire one liners with him. He actually made me puke (we were on a cruise ship and it was rough and I was seasick and he was so funny that I had to use the bucket I kept beside me. Fortunately we were behind a divider so nobody saw me do it.

14. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    We played a gig about a month ago. We had a bunch of funny covers, but the best was we were playing "California" (The OC theme song) as a joke, and we changed some words around to fit with massachutsetts. I had to play piano for the song, and I had to stop because I was laughing too hard.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Listen to any live Who show, particularly in between songs. Nothing funnier.

16. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

and it was one of those times when the song stops and the whole place hears this jerk tell a woman that he would love to F*** her A**(I start to laugh, along with 15-20 others). She gets red in the face and slaps him hard!(by now 50+ people are laughing). He isn't even emberassed and goes back to drinking heavey. Non of the muts and sluts would dance with him the rest of the night.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

17. One of the last gigs, we went in a 15-year old van. Now, we're driving on the freeway with everything in this van rattling like hell. We're not sure if it's our gear or the van itself. At some point, I look to my right and spot a screw that's coming out because of the vibrations. I say this to my bandmates. Reply from the singer 'so screw it back in.' I do so, and after 10 seconds we're all lauging like crazy (we had been dead serious before).

Now, the singer is driving and not used to the gearbox, so much crunching when shifting. We also spot some real bad driving, and are laughing our *** off.

Before the gig (which was a family-reunion-party) some guy talks about every member of the family going back to about 1300. We're bored out of our skull so go for a walk. We walk for 20 minutes telling jokes, and we all get back (to find the singer's girlfriend worried). We're still crying with laughter at this point.

During the show, we're playing a song and I spot my drummer having a good time. The last part, he does this huge drumroll before we all stop. On the last cymbal clash he brings his left hand to the left to hit his tom, but lets go of his stick. He gets this real wacky expression on his face as his stick flies into the open door of some storage room where we put our bags and stuff. He then realises his stick is gone and gets the infamous 'oh ****'-face. Because I turned to him to end the song, I laughed like crazy when he rushed from behind his drum to fetch the stick:)

The DJ that played music after we finished playing played 'sultans of swing' and we were talking about how we should cover that. So we're all complaining about our relative parts (guitar, drums, bass) and how difficult they are. We end up all drumming along on the tables.

On the drive back, the singer spontaneously starts singing sultans of swing. We end up voicing the guitar solo going 'tagedagedagedagedagedaaaaaaaaaa-dage' etc...

Best time I ever had. And we got payed for it :D

18. kansas666

kansas666

Sep 20, 2004
    We do the song "Hippy Hippy Shake" where the singer starts the song at full volume and the band kicks in behind him. Last weekend we all decided to leave him hanging there and nobody came in.

The week before I got the great idea to hide all of our drummer's sticks. During the break I gave each member of the audience a stick. With spares, brushes and old broken ones he keeps around, I gave out more than a dozen sticks. He is always the last one to the stage. And when he got in place he became all flustered looking for his sticks. One by one, different people in the audience came up to the stage and gave him back his sticks.

When ever we play a bar with a condem machine in the mens' room, we buy a bunch, blow them up and tape them to the lead singers microphone. That's always a hoot.

19. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

This strikes a chord with me, because my band played a school Variety show with an original Jazz-Rock-Waltz, where everyone gets a solo. (Hey, we auditioned, and we even played the song we played in the show. They liked it a lot.)

The people that liked us liked us a lot. The people that didn't had those faces on.

20. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    My band had a spot at this small pub a couple of weeks back, and our then regular singer couldn't make it. We had to sub him with this other dude, with whom we practiced for the first time the afternoon of our gig.

He didn't know all of the lyrics, so he brought his "cheat-sheet" with him on stage. He'd hold it behind his back, turn around to read it between lines, and turn back around to sing them into the mike. Which by itself made me and my drummer laugh uncontrallably. And THEN he realized he didn't have the lyrics to the last chorus for sunshine of your love, so he just sang this:

"I'm with you my love,
    I'm with you my loooooove,
    I'm with you my love,
    I'm with you my loooooove,
    I'm with you my love,
    I'm with you my loooooove"

Needless to say, I missed a few notes there.