Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most misleading Ebay experience

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Subculture13, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Recently I had a problem with the wording of an item I bought on Ebay so I thought I'd share it with you, and see if anyone has had similar experiences. I'm mostly curious to hear from people that have more unusual dealings, not specifically people that just got ripped off, I am sure we all have been there at least once.

My story.... Was really interested in this really old long out of print book on tube amps and their construction. I scour around and find what looks like a good deal, not totally expensive, the picture shows the wear on the spine and all that good stuff. Sounds like a keeper, so I enter a bid in. Maybe I could have waited and shopped around for a better deal, but it was convenient so I went for it, keep in mind this is a book that was printed in the late 30's or something so who knows when I will find it again. All added up it was about $45 to get it shipped it my door, I am not bummed out so things proceed and I make my payment after winning the auction. A few weeks go by and a box arrives, it's my book.... No wait, it's a PHOTOCOPY of my book. The seller, who had posted photos of this "4th print" had the nerve to tell me that the $45 I just paid was for a "4th print... copy of the xxx book..." Because the book was COPIED!! since it was COPIED 4 other times this was a 4th printing copy. I tried arguing the logic and all that, demanded my money back, but he just played on the pun that he intentionally put out there. (You are bidding for a copy of the great book by..." I reread the ad a dozen times and nowhere did it ever indicate that the book shown in the photo would not be shipped, it was only photos of the book being photocopied for me. Yes, he did use the word "copy" but that is our language, you tell me if talking about a book you wouldnt use the word copy at least once? It was a scam through and through. Nowhere was their photos of a photocopy. Why show spine wear and the writing on the inside cover if you aren't even photocoping the damn cover to begin with, let alone selling the real book? Anyway, that's my rant, sorry it is so long, thanks for listening.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Kill him in his feedback. Not sure how to go about filing formal complaint, but at least let other people know that if nothing else, he's a jerk.

3. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i bought a really ugly dress the other day :(

the title promised it was "cute vintage sailor" etc, but it was made of polyester and nylon and way too big.

4. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I did, but he had me over a barrel, he truly did sell me a "copy" of the book. I flamed him in feedback tho, so at least it might serve as a waring. But face it, who reads those for small purchases? I didn't (that time, learned my lesson) or I would have seen the number of people he had burned already in similar ways for other things.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Ah, so you were going for the age-old 'cute vintage sailor' look. If you would, take a picture of yourself in it and allow us to flatter you with our opinion of it. And to hell with the person who sold it to you!

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I believe that is a violation of one or more Ebay policies. For one thing it sounds like copyright violation and I think Ebay would also agree that it's misleading. Give him negative feedback and report him ASAP.

As far as your other question I've had over 150 Ebay transactions and I've never been burned or conned. I just usually try to look carefully at the auction and the person I'm dealing with.

Your case though is just straight-up fraud.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I do.

brad cook

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    The negative feedback is a start, but you also need to report him. I can't remember where to do it, but I know you can.

Don't let him off the hook. We're behind you.

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    hmmm no :p
    i'll post the listed picture when i get home.

to be honest it was my fault for buying it. the listing was perfectly fine.

but yes, mr renfield, i believe you CAN complain to ebay. and i don't know about in america, but here you can legally make a complaint under the "false adverstisement" laws.

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ...wow

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    indeed. it was most distressing.
    i'm suing for trauma.

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'd wear it.

brad cook

13. haha. +1 for me too.. :D

14. Oh, come on. It's cute.

In a vintage, sailor-y sort of way...

And it'll fit Brad nicely! :D

15. WARNING. DO NOT FOLLOW MY ADVICE.

Okay, you recieved this from him right? So you have his return shipping addy right?

I should just let you think of something. Anything that will shock and awe the cutesy bastard. Just make sure to go on UPS, print your own shipping label. You could use an address that's in the same town to even save on shipping costs :p Make sure the seller won't know it's from you.

People who think they are very smart need to reminded that intelligence is a 2 parter. It's what you know, and how well you come up w/ a solution to what's around you.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The wording of his auction was intentionally misleading. The pictures did not represent the actual item being sold, and he did not say that.

Sic the EBay fraud hounds on his ass.

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    [​IMG]

brad cook

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You could always find out who the publisher of the book is, whether it is still in print (or the publisher is still in business) and "dob" this guy in to them. They would have standing to have him prosecuted for breach of copyright etc.

Perhaps a nice email to this guy suggesting that if he does not refund your money you will report him to the publisher or the book union or whoever polices literary copyright.

19. Cool idea, but if it was copyrighted in the 30's....then it's probably public domain by now.

I still say send the dude a ferret or something. The more wild the better.