1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most Musical Way To Learn the Bass Fretboard!

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by TheIndieKid, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Hello Justin,

This is a question I posted on the Berklee Bass Department too, as I hope it’s understandable I’m kind of looking for a definitive (within reason) way (from multiple opinions so I can tie them together) of getting to know the notes on the bass neck, along with the patterns associated.

I’ve been playing two years and I really want to start focusing on my playing on a professional level rather than just messing around for fun. What way do you recommend learning the notes and patterns? I’m eager to make my improvisational playing sound convincingly good, and I’d just like to be able to play with skill and with the ability to use scales and arpeggios in a unique-ish way, along with using non standard scales/progressions.

Many thanks, and I hope you understand what I’m saying. I know it’s a bit obscure. I can try and be simpler if needs be. Many thanks,

Nate