Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

most mwah for under 500 or so?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Dec 13, 2002.

1. like the title says, what is the best fretless with the most mwah for under 500 or around there? and if you have suggestions, could you leave a link for it??

may the force be with you ;),
    erik

2. Your price range limits you to basically the Fender Jazz Standard or the Dean Rhapsody HBF, unless you cound the Rogues and Carlo Robelli's of the world. Having had the Fender, I'd go with the Dean. Both are lined, but the Dean has a phenolic board that will allow you to keep playing roundwounds as opposed to flats or groundwounds. And the Dean's cat-eye sound holes are cool lookin' too.

3. alright, then how about under around 800 or so??

4. No, no, it doesn't.

Fretless versions of the MTD Kingston and Heir, Cort Artisan B4 and Curbow, and many other quality budget basses are all available for under $500.

5. yes, but do they mwah like a mother----er :eek:
    heh

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I found the MTD Kingston fretless to be a great sounding bass but I didn't feel that it had as much mwah as other fretlesses that I've played. I know that a lot of mwah is in the playing but some just do it more than others. Having said that I should also say that I've only played one Kingston fretless.

brad cook

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Cort Artisan is the king of mwaahh under $1000. None of the ebanol board fretlesses I have played had much mwaahh. Cort Curbow, MTD Kingston, etc.

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the new kingston fretlesses are under $500 and have an ebony board , not the phenolic they were originally sold with- nice mwahh if you set it up right-- i know i guy who has them!!! ;)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow! The Kingston fretless now has an ebony board?

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    yessir!! for months now--

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If I solo the bridge pickup my Dean Edge 5 has mwahhh out the proverbial gazoo. Nice bass. Also, I would suspect that the rondo music Essex fretless jazz copies would be mwahhh machines as well for cheap as dirt.

12. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have a 5 string carvin frettless that is fantastic. The 4 string active neck through's, like mine, start at 600 something, but the bolt on's start at just over 500. A bass with excelent frettless sound and "mwah". head to www.carvin.com and look around.

13. You can usualy find used MIJ fretless Fender Jazz Basses on harmony-central and bassgear for around $300. The boards are unlined and they sound great (or at least I've been satisfied with mine).

14. I just played a fretless Kingston 5 the other day and was favorably impressed sonically and physically. The neck felt great, and I am not big on the 35" scale. It just felt good. The electronics are passive, but upgradeable. I hear a lot of folks are using Aguilar, but I think the EMG BTC control might be just as good. I have used this latter preamp in another passive-active upgrade and it worked great.