Most of my D strings has fret noise

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mr80htz, May 15, 2018.

1. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    Hey folks...first post...I have been trying to figure this out forever. The D string on my bass is buzzing from the 3rd fret to the 11th fret. So I know the following:
    - 1st fret buzz = nut issue
    - 3-8ish = truss rod
    - above 12th = bridge adj.

I move my truss rod a little = no change. I move it a lot = no change. i mess with the bridge = no change.

What the hell!!!!

The nut I have is for a p bass and should be flat bottomed but the one on my bass is curved. I added some wood filler to take the void out...it's a beater bass so not too concerned with using the filler.

Suggestions please. I like tuning the thing up myself because it is fun. I don't want to take to a luthier because that defeats the purpose of me maintaining the instrument.

Thanks folks

2. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Try measuring the relief as you're doing your truss rod adjustment. Put a capo on the first fret, press the string down on the highest fret, measure the height of the string over the fret halfway between. This is a good way to see what effect the truss rod is having.

3. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Had the same issue just three days ago. It’s enough to drive you mad for sure.

4. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    For fun I tried a more extreme truss rod movement and the action is defiantly effected overall but the D string still buzzes

5. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    Might this be because the D string sits lower in the nut than it should? I stuffed paper under the nut to see if that would help but not really

6. First of I would replace the nut with the correct one and see if that works. Even for a beater I wouldn't try to fill the gap under the nut. Something I would have tried years ago. Good opportunity to learn how to install a nut.

Tedwad

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    No. As you said before, once you fret a note the nut is completely out of the equation.

8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

and, so, what was the apparent cause of the problem? how did you remedy the problem? thanks.

9. Member8675309

Member8675309 Inactive

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Well, I took a fret rocker to the board. No issues. I checked the relief.....it is perfect. Looked for problems with the nut.....it’s fine, although I’d like to get bone soon. I checked the action height, both up and down for kicks.....it was not the issue.

So, I changed my strings. Problem solved. Soooo irritating.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

images2b2.png
    the OP may want to try this! thanks for your response. :thumbsup:

11. mr80htz

mr80htz

May 15, 2018
    Is there really a significant difference in string diameter? I had D'addario NYXL on..fret noise...put on some DR Hi Beams
    ....fret noise. I'll throw on an Ernie Ball med. Gauge and I'll see. I think those are a bit thinner...if that is a real issue

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021