Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most overated base?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FunkmastaJ, Feb 11, 2001.

1. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    We already have a post for most underated basses, how bout one for most overated.

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Anything with the name "Fender" on it. That company has so much power that as soon as they release a new bass it's, "oh wow look @ the new Fender". They're ok basses (if that's your thing) But Leo's 2 later comanies (Music Man & G&L) totally destroy Fender from construction to feel to soung to playability to etc to etc. (G&L being the best of the 3) Yeah yeah, I have 2 79 P-basses but one is so modified & beat to the ground. The only thing that's original is the body & the neckplate, everything else is aftermarket,but what can you do. :) I've had 75,76 P's 72 J multiple MIM P's & J's, Geddy Lee J, I don't think thay're all that.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Most overrated base? Well, 1st base is given a few nods by 8th graders, but any 9th grader worth his salt will say 2nd is the best. 3rd is fun, but until you've been to home plate, you're just wasting your time in my book!!! ;)

"....I can see paradise by the dashboard lights..."

4. The Incirlik airbase here in Turkey is apparently fairly overrated.

Other than that PVA as a base for watercolour is fairly useless.

Lead is a lousy base metal. Totally overrated.

and in Mathmatics, base 13 is certainly the most overrated.

Hope this helps.

Andy

5. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Anything warwick.Also EMGs are overrated.IMHO.Also Ric basses.

6. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Almost forgot Steinbergers,too.

7. moonbase-alpha.

8. Hohne Garrison in Germany. The nearest place of interest is Bergen-Belsen. There's not much else in terms of off-duty attractions nearby.

Sorry you mean bass;)

I don't think many basses are overrated per se, as tone and playability etc are very subjective depending on the player. For example, I read plenty of whinges about MIA Fenders but also there are plenty of satisfied people too.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree about the Warwick, but EMG's are the best thing to happen for the bassist!!! :)

10. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    To me all basses with EMGs sound the same.They have that Steinberger "artificial"type sound IMHO.Although I am not familiar with their very new products.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Mr. Gump -

You haven't been listening to Leland Sklar then? His main bass for years was an old P bass with a pair of EMG P's in it.

My basses have been described as full, warm, thick, fat, anything but sterile and "artificial". Got EMG DC's in both my fretted and my fretless (double coils, sorta their version of the MM Stingray P/U). I've used them on gigs doing everything from metal to R&B to country to latin, and always got the RIGHT tone out of them. What you've probably heard and remembered over the years are people that set their stuff up too bright.

Back "on topic":D :

I always felt that Homestead AFB in south FL was a bit over-rated.

While base 13 math isn't all it's cracked up to be, I honestly think base 11 is even worse.

Lead based paints are dangerous, but oil based are far more over-rated.

Moon base Alpha would have been over-rated, had we ever actually built it. I think Clavius base is much nicer.

Finally, I prefer the smallmouth bass over the largemouth. Even though the largemouth gets considerably bigger, the smallmouth, ounce for ounce puts up a much better fight.

12. Last Call Playa

Last Call Playa

Feb 12, 2001
    Fender Jazz and Precision.
    They are good basses, but there are much better, especially for the rediculous prices. They are the Colt of basses.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Ace of Base were very overrated in their day...

Wait a minute, no, they weren't.:D

Incidentally, you can correct your thread title by clicking on the "edit thread" option at the bottom of the page.

Will C.:cool:

14. darthspada

darthspada

Jan 20, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    I tried out a Brubaker bass. List price was over $3000 US. It played and sounded like a low end Yamaha. Looked really pretty, though.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think freebase is totally over-rated. Why not just use a .38?

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    See, this is where I totally disagree with you...

Base 19 is far more useless than base 13;) But, that's just one man's opinion:D

17. yeah Gard i know its a joke, but considering the fact im a lowly 9th grader, i guess its my duty to take offense to your remark. although i havent rounded home yet, im pretty sure thats the best there is ;)

am i worth my salt? ;)

18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think 2nd base is pretty overrated. i mean, sure you gotta be quick and all, but you don't have to hit worth a crap. and hittin's what it's all about.

19. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    Overated?

Bass Ale is pale next to a good oatmeal stout!
    jc

20. FunkmastaJ

FunkmastaJ

Feb 1, 2001
    Seattle WA
    Ya ya stop makin fun of how i misspelled bass, and i did correct the title after i posted it, but it wouldnt exactly work.

I too think any warwick is overrated