Most Overrated Amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassvirtuoso13, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  2. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

3. yeah Marshall is VERY overrated. There bass amps are awful but their guitar amps should be better than what they are.
  4. Ampeg? Overrated? You obviously don't use one. Or else you don't like the sound. Cool either way.

But to borrow a phrase from the Harley Davidson crowd, If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand. :D

Pope of the Church of Ampeg,
  5. Yeah I have used the SVT (the old 70s one), the SVT 3,SVT4-Pro, and the SVT 2 and I could not get a tone I liked from any of them. I was really hoping to replace my Mesa/Boogie rig with some big Ampeg stuff but when I tried them the extra power in the Ampeg just didn't hold any weight in comparison to the articulation I get from a Mesa/Boogie.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Ratings are overrated.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Never met an amp that I didn't like.... though a few I couldn't afford! But I would say that since one man's trash is another man's treasure all amps are kind of equal in the grand scheme of things. How can you put a "value" on an asthetic?

Also a $2000 Eden rig is over priced for a person who doesn't even know how to tune his bass yet. But perhaps it is absolutely essential for a veteran musician.

On the other hand the $80 squier amp is great for that beginner and an absolute waste of money for the vet.

So bottom line is:

JT uses many strings.

Let that be a lesson to you all.
  8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and lo, GABRIEL, the angel of the LORD(ONLY) spoke onto them, and they were SORE afraid.

9. Hell yes!

More like JT uses TOO many strings. :D Just kidding, JT. Were you born with 12 fingers or something? I too know what that Chattahoochee water can do to you. Although I live downstream from Atlanta, so I'm really getting the brunt of it. The 'hooch is about 1000 yards from my house. I ain't goin' swimmin' in that thar' river. :eek:

I choose 4-strings because I consider it a fair fight. I usually get my butt kicked by my bass, though. I fight like a girl. (no offense to the chicks, of course)

Hey, I'm joking, ladies, not trying to be mean.

10. Hey, that 15 watt Squier can sound pretty good ya know. It sounds okay when solo, but I played with a band today and it sounded good.

Its pretty loud too. As an experiment, we played outside today...and I had someone play my bass as i ran down the street. I could hear it far way.

So if anyones looking for a cheap practice amp, go with that one.
  11. The New Ampegs another name for Crate brought to you by SLiMe. There are a lot of other amps that are too expensive and highly regarded but not to the extreme of A m p e g.

Pre SLiMe Ampegs are another thing all together.
  12. Yes. Yes they are. I've had a SLM (or SLiMe as you put it) SVT Classic apart and the circuit topology is nothing like the old ones. I've had my 76 apart a few times and I'm always blown away by the quality of construction and the quality components. The circuit designs were way ahead of their time. Actually it's way ahead of most of today's stuff in terms of failsafe mechanisms and the like. Now the new SVTs aren't horribly bad or anything, but I don't like their SS amps very much. Note: I'm not saying they suck or they're overrated, I just don't dig 'em. Well I do think the construction an components aren't that great, but that's the tech in me shining through. As I said before, I don't have a particular affinity for any particular manufacturer, I just like good amps, and there are lots of them from a lot of different manufacturers.

BV13, So how is it that the fact that you don't like Ampegs translate into them being overrated, anyway? Lots of people use 'em and love 'em. Does that mean that they all have bad sounds and are idiots for not having a Mesa? I'm not ragging on Mesa now, I really dig some of their stuff. Just curious.
  13. I think people generally give a lot of credit to Ampeg because they're the "first" and all that but really their quality is substandard and many of their amps aren't even worth trying out. Just not my cup of tea. I also like other amps other than Mesa/Boogie. I like Eden and Aguilar.
  14. Well that's your opinion, which you keep stating as fact.... I'd agree that Ampeg's quality has slipped somewhat in recent years. Same can be said for a lot of companies including Mesa and SWR. I'm talking purely from a construction and electronics standpoint here. Sound is pretty much purely subjective. Aguilar's top notch though. These are all observations made from having these amps apart on a test bench. The old Ampegs are exceptionally well designed and constructed amps, there isn't anything substandard about them. They don't make 'em like they used to.
  15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You know, there are amps beyond Ampeg and MESA/Boogie, Mr. Berklee. Me thinks you only like MESA/Boogie because of Myung ("HE HAS GREAT TONE!"). Bleh. Stupid thread.
  16. How did I guess who was behind this thread?
  17. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Does this opinion extend to their cabs or just confined to their amp heads?
  18. I must be an idiot for liking my Ampeg BA-115!
  19. I agree.

I think generally that there is a tendency to assume that anything you don't like must be over rated. But in Marshall's case they really ARE overrated. The construction quality is nothing like what it was. The bass amps...well, I used to have a DBS combo which I luckily managed to sell two and a half years ago to a bar as their house amp. Many, many different bass players have gone through that amp, and not ONE has had a good thing to say about it, to my knowledge.