Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most overrated bassist?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Scuzzy666, Feb 23, 2001.

1. Besides me of course...

I'd have to say... Fieldy from KoRn or KorN or kOrN or KOrN or whatever...

Plus, Talena Atfield of Kittie doesn't exactly do anything special... or any of the other members of Kittie while we're at it...

2. KoRn...well, I don't listen to them, and I've never heard them, so I couldn't say. :D
    And as for your Talena Attfield comment...
    ssshhhh! You don't wanna get Goth Barbie on your case... :D:p

Anyway, I have no names to contribute to the list. Most of what I listen to now is stuff I've heard people talk about that's good here. Or at least the ones I can find at HMV here. :D:p

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What's with all those ratings???
    Are you looking for other people's opinions to adapt to? Is it the peer pressure? :D

Like what you like and don't what you don't like - and let the others do their thing...

Ratings are really out of place when it comes to music and instrumentalists...

Now you can open fire if you want to...:D

4. Are you takin' a shot at me, JMX?
    HUH?
    ARE YOU?!?!?!?!

:D:p

But seriously...I was listening to a very select list of very mainstream stuff before I started playing bass, and now that I'm looking to broaden my musical horizans, I have no idea what else to buy (yes, BUY. Not download, but BUY. :D) so I take stuff that people here like, find it in HMV, and buy it. If I don't like it, I don't buy anymore of it. :D

If that wasn't a comment relating to my post, then you can ignore this one. :D:p

5. ...along with Sam Rivers of Limp Bizkit I totally agree with you

6. most overrated- Mark King. he made slap unfunky, and lacking in low end.

*puts on flameproof suit and takes cover*

7. FiElDy RuLeZ!!!

FiElDy RuLeZ!!!

Feb 27, 2001
    NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Yeah, Fieldy can't be the most overrated bassist!!!

He'd actually have to play bass to qualify!!!! :eek:

"Hey Fieldy, what note is that??"

"Note? I'm supposed to play notes???"

CLACK-ITTY CLACK CLACK CLICK CLICK CLICK-ITTY CLICK. :rolleyes:

...that was mean wasn't it? (but true) Hee hee.....:D ;)

9. its not mean cause he deserves it, and please dont tell me that Fieldy rulez is a serious user, make it a dream, its all a bad dream..... :)

10. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Gard, LOL, you just made my day! :)

11. i really dont see why all you people are such jackasses when it comes to the subject of Fieldy and his playing style.

maybe it's just my lack of talent, but i personally find what Fieldy does pretty hard to do. besides, with his playing style, Fieldy gives KoRn the textured sound it would otherwise lack.

here's a little experiment for all you Fieldy-haters, go get the tabs for KoRn's song "It's On" and the Incubus song "Battlestar Scralatchtica" and see which one is easier to learn, and which one is easier to adjust your EQ and tuning so that it sounds right.

correct me if you think otherwise but the Incubus song is far far easier in both respects.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I might respect Fieldy as a percussive bass player, but I totally lack respect for his person. That's why I use to bash Fieldy.

And Mock Turtle - I tend to agree. Mark King is all speed and more speed, honky mids and show-off slap excercises. Well, he can play for the song if he really wants to, but his solos are sooooooo tiresome.

13. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    Jaco Pastorious!

no, Paul McCartney!

no, James Jamerson!

no, Victor Wooten!

14. ok real hard eq settings, you wanna know what he does "I turn my mid's all the way off, i dont need that Sh*t!"

what a musical ingnoramus

15. and i dont care whats harder, battle star or fieldy, but what sounds cooler, deffinetly incubus

16. .......and I have done what musically that gives me the right to bash any of these guys, and gal? Oh I forgot everyone knows of Christos......wait who's Christos? anyway,.....I may not like any of these bass players, but what they are doing is SELLING RECORDS, but then again that is selling out......Call me a SELL OUT........I wish someday I might get the chance to be labled a sell out and I also hope that I am on this list of over rated players.....I don't care for any of their playing styles but in their defense, they are there.......

17. mullet_head_81

mullet_head_81

Jan 27, 2001
    okie-homa
    Jaco is waaay overrated

I went out and bought a Rogue Squier 4 string, pulled out frets w/pliars, ran over it w/my '91 chevy Geo, fed the pickguard to my Cocker Spaniel, and filled the spaces where the frets used to be w/play-do, and VIOLA! I can play like Jaco....maybe they should call me 'Jeffo'.

just a joke....;)

korn is over rated, but it DOES sell records. (hindrix is over rated too).

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dude, first of all, welcome to the HUMOR section of TalkBass :rolleyes:

Secondly, has anyone here called you a "jackass" because you like Fieldy? No? I didn't think so...

We have different opinions (some strongly held, like mine), and we just shared them - in a joking way. You start that kinda name calling without cause in my bailiwick, and you'll be elsewhere quick.

As for your little "experiment", well, you are looking through the wrong end of the telescope my friend. I could care less which is more difficult to "adjust your EQ and tuning" for :rolleyes:. What I care about is which one sounds better to me! I can't stand the sound that Meadow...er....uh....Pasture...um...whatever the heck you wanna call him....uses. But that's me, if you dig it, goodie for you.

Oh, and learing from tabs? Oh I hope JT don't see this one.....of course where stuff like Yard is concerned, you can't hear pitch to learn by ear, and who'd waste their time actually transcribing it in standard notation? ;)

19. Fieldy bashing is on!

Fieldy really wants to be an upright player. Look at the way he holds his bass almost parallel to his body. The aggressive slapping technique? He's just practicing for his upright. (read article on upright slap in BP) Next year when Ibanez introduces his signature Upright you won't be laughing!
    BTW, I like Korn but I don't like Fieldy. Is that wierd or what?

20. gard, maybe it's just me but i dont happen to see the 'HUMOR' in the bashing of anyone's ability at anything.

no, i havent been called a jackass for liking Fieldy, but that's not the point here; the point is that i called all the Fieldy-haters here jackasses because they're so quick to judge and criticize (however you spell that word).

i also dont see how you think im 'looking through the wrong end of the telescope'. i mentioned that experiment because the issue here is Fieldy's ability. the point of the experiment is to see which song requires more playing ability, not which you think sounds better. the issue at stake is talent, not style.