Most overrated bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by paul_mccartney, Aug 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Who do you think is the most overrated bassist -- the one who's gotten the most underserved kudos, the one who people worship when there are a thousand better bassists who are better than him/her?

I'd like to give my vote to Flea. He can barely hold a groove, his style is an amalgan of funk bassist who've come before him (mostly Bootsy, but also Larry Graham, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke, etc.), and he's not as technically proficient as, say, Vic Wooten, Bill "The Buddha" Dickens, or Les Claypool.

Don't get me wrong; he has some talent. It's just that he's not the great and he's definitely not a virtuoso on par with anyone mentioned above. He's just a decent bassist who had the good fortune to be one of the decade's most popular bands, who also happened to actually let him be heard instead of just fading him into the background like so many other modern rock bassists do.

Anyone else have anyone to vote for?
  2. Ummm...right...but he probably DID influence the most people to take up Bass (during the 90's, of course) he's one of the few "rockers" still playing funk...and he CAN lay a groove...

I will not post my opinion, though, on the most overrated bassist, for all it does is create a lot of tension and problems in this board...try to check posts before this one and see proof
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    one vote for fieldy.
  4. fieldy, flea (though i do like some of his stuff), the guy from rage atm, sting (unless he's on an upright)

lars from 'spiral architect'
    check them out:

very good improv rock/weird music, the singer is the worst part but the music is great.
  5. but i'm going to agree with 'relman'... excess conflicts are not what make a bass players' board great.
  6. I think this thread should be closed immediately (hello Angus and cassanova! :D) because it's only going to cause bad blood and it's been done to death.
  7. Flea can't hold a groove? I'm trying not to sound pissed off, becuase I agree sometimes he can be overrated, but that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. He is a technically proficient bassist, the difference is that some bassists you mentioned focus more on bass alone, whereas flea does what the music requires, a direct flea quote is 'a great musician can take a single note and make it sound beautiful'.
    I vote for this thread to be closed, i had to try hard not to swear.
    One vote for Fieldy.:mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.