Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most painful bass expirience?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassman1185, May 7, 2001.

1. What is yours? Mine is when I first got my Ampeg BA115 and I was so excited and I was playing my bass really hard. Well, my old bass, a Slammer by Hamer p-bass copy, didn't have very good fretwork, AND I had just clipped my fingernails, so they were kind of jagged. I did a big slide, and ripped up my the nail in my ring finger. OUCH!

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Playing a Silvertone, ...physical and audial pain.

Playing and having my lips touch an ungrounded mike was pretty hard on the nervous system, too.

3. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    My most mentally painful experience was when i was playing in my church's youth group. I was kneeling and went to stand up to play, when the strap came off the upper horn on my MIM Jazz (was a few months old at the time) and sent my bass smashing into the hard marble floor below. Took a nice chunk of paint and wood oout of the bottom rear corner and chipped my E-string tuner. It also made a loud boom and echoed throughout the church. I didn't touch it for 2 weeks. I proudly wear it now, battle scar and all, and went out right away and bought strap locks :)

Physically, it would have to be this past weekend's band practices. I just strated working as a framer (framing houses), and my hands, arms, and shoulders were sore as hell. My fingers would not move no matter how much I stretched and warmed-up. That and I had a huge splinter ripped out of my fretting hand at the base of my pinky, and while playing on my 5, it kept rubbing the neck.

But hey, its the price you pay. No pain, no gain.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You haven't lived until you've racked yourself with a Steinberger kickstand...

5. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I suppose I've come close then. I remembe now a time when my guitarist and I were helping our drummer setup for a gig his cover band was doing. As my drummer was introducing me to the guitarist (I think, I really dont remember) my guitarist whacks me in the mommy-daddy button with a cymbol stand. He later bought me a dink to ease my pain and suffering.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my most painful experience was when i was closing the trunk lid of my car, and my pedulla fretless fell about 4 feet to the gravel. --~CRACK~--. sent it back to mike pedulla to fix, did a great job, then 3 months later i ordered my first conklin, a fretless.

pedulla's been in the case ever since.

7. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I had an experience once that was kind of painful to my ego and psyche. I did an outdoor gig with a cover band and we had to use a large septic platform as our stage. There was a secure 2/4 cover and we were'nt in any danger but we could see bubbling raw sewage in between the spaces of the 2/4"s. On top of that no one showed up.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    leaping into the air and not noticing the steel beam that ran across center stage. Fell on my guitarist and he pushes me, thinking I'm just doing something stupid. He got scared when he looked down and saw the dazed & confused look. I've got a nice batle scar to be proud of now.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, I guess it would just be developing tendonitis in my left wrist. Thank god for acupuncture!

10. anon5458975

anon5458975

Apr 5, 2001
    Where's Krist Novoselic when you need him :)

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    probally when the strap button towards the back of my bass fell off and the tuners waked me in the noggin then the bass fell on my foot.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was playing around at home, and the strap popped off the bridge strap. The head flies up. Whacks me right in the eye, giving me a black eye (head hit me, not the tuner), and the body flies down, and shmack my bare toe, nearly breaking it...so I look like I got a good whap, and had a limp for the next few hours...

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    my most painful one was at a rehearsal, i jumped with my bass and at landing the bass hit me in my crotch! :eek:

it felt like a kick in the balls! :D

i continued playing but all i was playing was all this high notes i never played :D:D just kidding that would happen if you kick your singer in the balls :)

i rolled down the floor for like 5 minutes... nothing happened to the bass though.

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    The usual road stuff - lanced blisters while playing 2 more sets, playing with a sprained knee, etc. etc. The worst of all is probably the time I did a day job working a 90 lb. jackhammer. After 4 hours of that, I took off to do the gig. Within the first few minutes, my forearms locked up tight. It was the hardest night I ever had to play.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    we could ask ikickuintheballs if this is the same thing:D

16. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Did yours fall off?? :D

17. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    funny :p my r key works when it wants to these days. kinda hard when you're trying to write a paper, or anything fo that matter. I'll give you an E for effort :)

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    jumping around during a gig where my bass line was really easy, i was topless and the padlock i wear on a short dog-chain around my neck whacked me full-on in the teeth and chipped my left rabbit tooth ... christ that killed ! watching the chunk of tooth fly off into the front row was kinda traumatic ..

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Punkishness like that have their drawbacks.:D Ouch man!