Most painfull jam session

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by prophecy, Dec 27, 2003.

1. prophecy

Dec 26, 2003
    Whats the most painfull jam session you'ev had?

Mine? well our drummer lives out in the sticks, so we hauled all our equipment out to hers, and half way thru playing Say It Aint So, the parrot walks (yes walks) in and takes a chunk out of my hand, we had to call it off because i was paralysed :p

2. wrost ive had is beign a smartypants jumping off the bass drum; except i slipped and hit my forehead on the tom! :D :p :oops:
  3. haha Mart. :)

Damn dude,that sucks about the parrot...but you're in a rhythm section with a chick? ;)
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    On my way to practice once, I tried to jump up on this big metal pole(for tying horses to I think) anyway, I had successfully jumped up on said pole before, and been fine, but this time, I jumped up and slipped and split my forehead!

I still have a small scar and a small patch of hair missing from my eyebrow!
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just hate all jam sessions. You know, wanna-be guitarists drinking lots of beer and chaining together the three licks they know for an hour-long "guitar solo." Then using the same three licks for the solos in a few covers you try. Nobody knows any intros or outros. Ick.
  6. prophecy

Dec 26, 2003
    haha yeah, i guess that is pretty cool ;) but damn it seems EVERYONES jam sessions are the same? hahaha :D i'll be sure to post any other interesting ones...TTYL
    (whatcha think of the pic? photoshop anyone? lol)
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    A friend of mine had the coolest situation, ever. He was hired as a caretaker for this hugenormous estate just outside Ft Worth. It was a couple of hundred acres with an enormous house on it. He got to live in this enormous place and collect a check for it, and all he had to do was the maintenance he would have been doing if it were his house anyway.

Every few months he would rent some port-a-potties and throw a big party. You never knew what kind of crowd would show up. He had two music rooms set up, one with drums, amps and a piano, and another where he kept his acoustic goodies. We called the 'electric room' and the 'wood room.'

So, at this one party the crowd seems to be about half cowboy-types, and about half biker types. Long experience tells me that in a crowd with Stetsons on that side and leathers on that side it is best to stay out of the middle.

SO a few of us went to the 'electric room' to play, but it just wasn't as good a jam as was normal for parties at 'the Castle' We were running out of ideas when one of the people pointed out that all of us were southerners, so we should all know old gospel tunes. We started doind old-time church music, and it even sounded pretty good, but I don't know that many gospel songs. When my turn came around I had decided to leave after my song so I was going to ham it up and make the most of it.

I turned my back on the room to sing into the corner for that cool corner-echo. I was hamming it WAY up, doing that Stevie Wonder rocking side-to-side thing. Then going into the chorus I yelled "Everybody!" knowing that when I had turned my back on the room that 'everybody' was eight people, counting me.

However...about thirty voices jumped in with "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" and they even sounded okay! It was several of the bikers. Turns out they were a Christian bike their leather and denim and tattoos...mutter,mutter,mutter.

If I had had a camcorder with me that night, I would just bet "Wayne and his All-Biker Gospel Chorus" could have won Americas Funniest Videos that year.
  8. rawgreenbean

Dec 27, 2003
    didn't happen to me... but it happened at a big festival i was at. thousands in the crowd. pretty big punk band played decent set. Drummer decides to show off after they're done. Tries to jump over his drum set, which is on a platform about 4 feet up. Trips over a tom, cracks his head on the stage, gets a concussion.

9. :eek:

10. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, you never know what might happen at a jam session...

One time, the house guitar player picked up my keys, and they went to Chicago with him the next day, and didn't reappear for a week. That was after I called AAA so I could drive home, and after getting all the locks changed around my house.

Another time, some drunk chic pushed me backwards over a floor monitor and I ended up playing the rest of Highway Star flat on my back and staring at the ceiling. Got some free tequila for that one!

Then there was the time they called a tune I didn't know, and they started into it before I could tell anyone I didn't know it, so thankfully there were a couple of people in the audience who knew the tune and started flashing hand signals at me... 1... 4... 5...

I love jam sessions!
  11. I don't get it.... 1? 4? 5? Frets?
  12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Chord changes.

Assuming 1 is Cmaj7, then 4 is Fmaj7#4 and 5 is G7

(in jazz theory at least)
  13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If you didn't already know that, please leave TB now.
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

There are "moments" in jam sessions. But once the guitarists head up past the 12th fret, you ain't gettin' back any time soon, even if you stop playin'.
  15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, what kind of jam session are we talking about anyway? The ones I go to are highly structured, you don't get to play unless someone knows you or it's after 1 am. There's a lot of people that want to play, and there's usually a huge crowd at the bar, and the house wants to keep 'em there, so the leader of the house band makes sure the quality of the music is always pretty decent. There's no "random jamming" until the bar empties out. Once that happens they don't care so much anymore, then if you have an amp and a guitar you can join in, or you can wait around till one of the house amps frees up. Yeah, those late night blues jams can be pretty monotonous. I like the ones that happen around 10:30, when someone calls out "Highway Star" and everyone just starts right into it. Most of the guys I've played with have been pretty good, they not only know the tune but they can dial up the sound too. It's one of life's small pleasures actually, playing with other decent musicians who like the same kind of music you do. And a singer who can keep up!
  16. Last spring, I organized a jam session here at the house for the Atlanta Get-Together. I did some homework to find a suitable drummer and a guitarists to help "fill-in" between the bass licks.;) I did pretty good. The drummer was a young man just out of school (Berkeley) and the guitarist was a friend with about 30 years of experience.

Things went GREAT!! The drummer was versed in all kinds of music - he especially liked Indian music - and was right there with every accent and lead-in needed. My friend on guitar was perfect for the situation since he understood that this was a Bass player get-together and he just vamped along following the lead players.

Just ask BassMonkee or Gard...

17. What's #4? isn't that a p5, which is part of the chord already?

Also, diatonically speaking the 4 from Cmaj is simply Fmaj7. It'd go Cmaj7, Dmin7, Emin7, Fmaj7, G7, Amin7, Bmin7b5.

And to address the topic, I was playing upright off of lead sheets-- constant pizz for the first time. My righthand fingers were totally messed up for over a week.
  18. HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    A flatted fifth is not part of the maj7 chord, the major 7 in the C major scale happens to be a sharped fourth from F. I'm not positive as to why the accidental has to be spelled like that, but it is.
  19. If the bassist heads up past the 12th fret, it's time to go home. ;)
  20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Don't come to one of my basement jams then because
    I am not afraid of the whole fretboard.

When the gitter goes up high, after a while I will go up there and play the harmony line.

That usually takes him out of his coma as I usually know the melody, rhythm, groove and structure better than he does. Like most bass players do, in order to hold a song together.

At that point he realizes he sounds like barf, or in the case of one great guy I used to play with, we worked it off each other and worked it on home to a penultimate finale.

I've had a lot of fun jamming, but it was never for 'auditions'. Just the homies that have jobs but took Tuesday night out to play.