Most playable neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by umberto, Nov 30, 2004.

1. umberto

Jun 10, 2004
    What do you consider the most playable bass neck (in term of swiftness/quickness)? Fodera, Warwick, Sadowsky, etc... And what model, in particular?
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The best ones Ive played are on my two custom Conklins:

Very thin and comfy.. And the satin finish is oh, so decadent!!!

:D :oops:
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Curbow Rockwood necks are the most playable *for me* of all the necks I've played, though Sadowsky, Lakland, MTD, Nordstrand, and Wal all make necks that I like quite a bit, too.

4. Of the basses I've tried, I'd have to go with Roscoe (LG3000 and SKG3005) and Surine (Esprit Series II 4-string). My custom JAF Eidas ranks highly as well.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I havent tried a bunch of basses really, but I really like the neck on my Dingwall better than anything else Ive touched. The profile is very flat (semi-eliptical), and also a satin finish, so its very smooth to slide up and down on. Skjold basses come close in the feel Im after.

Compared to the Warwicks I've played around on, I much prefer a flat neck profile to the much more round profile of the Warwicks, just as a comparison.
  6. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    My vote is for MTDs, I'm usually intimidated by 24frets but I didn't even realize the Kingston/Heirs I've tried out were 24frets until I read about it on his website..
  7. Geddy Lee jazz bass.

Very slim neck. Very easy to play.
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    For their relative string numbers, the most playble necks I've tried by far the 4-string Ibanez's and the 7-string Warrior Isabella or Signature. The 7 string warrior I played was every bit as comfy and natural my spector 5's. I love those necks.
  9. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've played a few sadowsky's and even though they aren't thin like a Geddy Lee they are very playable. The most playable necks I have played are a MM Sterling and a very broken-in pre-cbs 1963 Jazz Bass.
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    What is your favorite color?

Really, it is the same sort of question. Some people like slim. Some like fat. Some like glossy finished, some like unfinished, some like something in between. Neck preferences are as varied as people are.
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Don't laugh...

Warwick thumb NT.. :D
  12. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Peavey Cirrus and MM Bongo.
  13. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    Being the small-handed type I tend to go for narrower necks, though some Jazz necks can be a bit 'chunky' and I also like a flatter C shaped Profile. I played an Ibanez Soundgear recently that felt great. I also prefer thicker Gauge Strings too. I can't stand the Thin Gauges.
  14. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    For me it's between a MM Bongo and a Warrior fretless that I played once. They're 2 completely different necks, but I love them both.
  15. Reverend Rumblefish basses have the best-playing, best feeling necks of any bass I've ever tried. The rolled fingerboard edges are the key. It just fits my hand like a glove. I had the rockwood neck on my Curbow shaped to the exact dimensions of the Reverend neck. Talk about fast! :bassist:
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This might be my vote as well.
  17. +1
  18. I have to agree with you, Papersen. ;)

One of the reasons I bought a Cirrus was how comfortable the neck felt in my hands, without even mentioning how great they sound. My Cirrus 5's neck almost feels like a 4 string neck to me.

And Bongo necks are pretty comfy too.

A Fender American vintage '57 P-bass I played also had a great-feeling neck; wide across the strings, but thin front to back.

19. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Mike Dimin's MTD....mmmm....MTD...
  20. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well, this is coming from an Ibanez player - Ibanez.

I love my RB800's neck, and even my friend said it was easier to play on...-.-

But thats just me, and I've never touched anything above the Fenders and Ibanez basses at Guitar Center.