1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most popular alternative tuning?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Tuning your bass down half a step will give you a bit more low on all strings. If you like that, go for that. What you might try as well (atleast if you are in solo playing and / or chords) is Drop Bb tuning. You tune the low B string down a half step and the rest of the strings are tuned up a half step. So tehn you would get Bb F Bb Eb Ab.

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    If you want to try it with an old set of strings you should be able to tune the B up to C, don't use the E, drop the A string into the second slot in the nut and drop tune it to G, drop the D string to the third slot and keep it at D, and drop the G string to the fourth slot and tune it carefully up to A. I once broke a G string trying to tune it to A# but A seems safe for most strings and if you use an old set no big loss if it breaks. You can then either leave the fifth string off or you can buy a single string to tune to E in that slot. That would give you a taste of the tuning. Of course if you want to keep this tuning on your bass for a while you will want to put something in the fifth slot to keep the neck happy, either buy a custom E string or put another G string in there to keep the total tension about right. For a brief trial it is no problem to let it be empty.

3. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    You're welcome.

'Tuning all the strings down half step' wouldn't change 'fretting fingers patterns' at all. But they'd sound (and felt) different. I really love that.

Thomas Kievit likes this.
  4. Just came across this c# g# c# f# bass tuning! I can hardly believe that ppl tune there bass like that. I sometimes tune to D#, G#, C#, F# but to tune E down to C# and actually play that way. I thought what a freak to play that way :)

5. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Being a typical guiturd, he probably did not even consider going up a gauge in strings, 10's if he usually plays 9's, 11's if he usually plays 10's.

6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    +1 to this for me. Drop D is convenient for guitar players and Eb is popular with the blues and classic rock crowd.

7. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well some people like it this way. I feel a little bit like with with Drop Ab tuning : Ab - Eb - Ab - Db - Gb. The low B string goes down 3 half steps, the rest goes down half a step. Personally, the low Ab is too much for my taste. But Periphery for example, do alot in this tuning. It doesn't sound bad for their music, but personally I don't think I would go lower than a low A.

8. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I keep my 4-strings in drop D, but when I get my 6, I'm going to try it in DADGCF. If I decide I don't care for it, I'll go CDADGC

9. I'm finally opening up to the idea of dropping my low B string to A on my acoustics. Barely passable. If I'm using a capo, I'll typically capo 6 strings and naturally drop the tuning.

10. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    So I tuned both my Jazz and my acoustic to B-F#-B-E, though my acoustic is now piccolo. I LOVE IT...but I think I'm going to tune my Jazz back up to DADG. I don't know if it's my pickups or my amp, but something just isn't quite right with it.

11. Setup? Change to different gauges?

12. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    I kept the setup the same. The strings were the same gauge as I normally use, too. Just a basic 44-106 GHS Pressure Wound set. Honestly, floppiness isn't a problem. They FEEL good tuned down that low and plays just as good, to my surprise. I think it's more the pickups than anything else. The Jazz is a 90's Squire Jazz Standard with stock pups. Might need to change them out. I had Duncan QP's on it at one point, but decided to re-install the stock pickups. I think I might have to try a set of Nordy's.