1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most Popular Lakland Darryl Jones Jazz Bass...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raul, Mar 15, 2008.

1. raul

raul

Aug 30, 2006
    Planet Earth
    I may be looking into one of the Darryl Jones Jazz Basses. I know there is a lot of talk of them around here and that they are popular...but...
    which version is the one that most people are referring to?

is it the Skyline or the US model?

which is the one to go with? i play rock, blues, soul, funk...loud rock and blues mostly. with an Ashdown ABM 900 rig.

which is the one to go with?

thanks...

2. Depends in part how much you want to spend .
    Big price diference between the Skyline and US .
    I have a Skyline 5 string . Awesome bass . As is any Lakland .
    I've also had a 4 string Skyline . Cant go wrong either way .
    A couple weeks ago I played a US Glaub , side by side with my Skyline Glaub . I could not tell the difference .
    Good luck with your choice !

3. sully

sully

Aug 14, 2006
    PNG
    Popularity shouldn't be relevant. The Big Mac is the most popular burger in the world but that doesn't necessarily mean it is the best, does it? To answer your question - the Skylines are less expensive and have sold a lot more than the USA version.

Here are some links which should help make your decision:

Differences between Skylines and USA models:
    http://www.lakland.com/skyline_vs_us.htm

Audio samples of the DJ being played in different styles (very useful for testing a bass without having to go to the shop)
    http://www.lakland.com/multimedia/ac_DJ5.htm

I have a DJ Shoreline (the Japanese version of this wonderful bass) and I believe the audio samples are very faithful to the sounds that this bass produces.